|Name||Alice Amoding, PhD|
|Address||Makerere University College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, School of Agricultural Sciences, Department of Agricultural Production. P.O. Box 7062, Kampala.|
- Lecturer, Soils Unit, Department of Agricultural Production, School of Agricultural Sciences, College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
- Lecturer , Soil and Water Management, Faculty of Agriculture, Uganda Martyrs University (UMU), Nkozi, Uganda
CONSULTANCIES/RESEARCH WORK UNDERTAKEN
- Conducting Research on “Out-scaling and Phosphorus fortification of a promising soil fertility management package” funded by Sida/SAREC, Makerere University.
- Researcher and PhD student with the “Soil Fertility component” of the Faculty of Agriculture, Urban Waste Utilization Project, Phase I, funded by the Swedish International Development Agency (Sida/SAREC).
- Research on Soil Productivity Enhancing Technologies in Teso and Lango districts of Uganda. Consultancy work done for Appropriate Technology AT-Uganda) –
- Field survey to identify issues related to land degradation and conflict in some selected areas of Uganda. Consultancy for the Partnership for African Environmental Sustainability (PAES/EU) project and Makerere University Institute of Environment and Natural Resources (MUIENR) -
- Research Assistant and MSc. student with the “Water Hyacinth” Project, Department of Soil Science, Makerere University.
- A PhD thesis on “Supply potential and Agronomic Value of Urban Market Crop Waste”.
- A Masters' dissertation on the “Utilization of Water Hyacinth as a Soil Fertility Input in Uganda”, Department of Soil Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Makerere University.
- A Special project research report on “Effects of three Organic Residues on Nitrogen uptake and Dry matter yield of Rhodes grass" using the Isotope 15N. Department of Soil Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Makerere University.
ORGANISATIONAL SKILLS AND COMPETENCE
- Pioneer Prime Minister, Makerere University Council of Graduate students (COGS) – 2003- 2005.
- Member, Senate Board of Research and Publications – Makerere University – 2003-2005.
- Member, Senate Board, Higher Degrees- Makerere University – 2003-2005.
- Committee member, Steer Project Committee, Kabanyolo – 1995-96.
- Amoding, A., Tenywa, J.S., Stig, L., and Otabbong, E. 2011. Effectiveness of Crop Waste Compost on a Eutric Ferralsol. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science. 174: 430–436. doi: 10.1002/jpln.200900292
- B. G. Kilande, J. S. Tenywa, M. Rwakaikara-Silver, and A. Amoding-Katushabe. 2011. Agronomic Evaluation of Cattle Manures for Cabbage Production: Animal Gender and Physiological Conditions Nepalese Journal of Agricultural Sciences, volume 9, 76-89. ISSN 2091-042X
- Amoding, A., Tenywa, J. S., Ledin, S. and Otabbong, E. 2005. Agronomic effectiveness of urban market crop waste compost on-farm in Uganda. African Crop Science Society Proceedings. pp 1133-1138.
- Idenfors, A., Otabbong, E., Tenywa, J.S. and Amoding, A. 2004. A greenhouse experiment to evaluate compost derived from household and market crop wastes. Uganda Journal of Agricultural Sciences 9:501-505.
- Muzira, R.N., Amoding, A and Bekunda, M.A. 2003. Preparing and Using Compost and Silage from Water Hyacinth. Pp 75 – 79. In: Savala, C.E.N., Omare, M.N. and Woomer, P.L. (Eds). Organic Resource Management in Kenya: Perspectives and Guidelines: Forum for Organic Resource Management and Agricultural Technologies, Nairobi, Kenya. 184 pp.
- Amoding, A and J. S Tenywa. 2003. Urban crop waste utilization for soil fertility improvement in crop production systems. Soil Science Society of East Africa proceedings. pp 133- 137.
- Amoding, A; Olal, M; Mutetikka, D; Muzira, R and Woomer, P.L. 2001. Processing Water Hyacinth into Compost, Silage and Fibre. Short communication. FORMAT, Nairobi, Kenya
- Amoding, A., Muzira, R., Bekunda, M.A and Woomer, P.L. 1999. Bio productivity and decomposition of water hyacinth in Uganda. African Crop Science Journal 7:4, 433-439.
- Woomer, P.L., Muzira, R., Bwamiki, D., Mutetikka, D., Amoding, A and Bekunda, M.A. 1999. Biological management of water hyacinth waste in Uganda. Biological Agriculture and Horticulture 17: 181-196.
- Soil Science Society of East Africa (SSSEA).
- Forum for Organic Resource Management and Technologies (FORMAT).
- TSBF - African Network for Soil Biology and Fertility (AfNet).
December 5-9, 2005: African Crop Science Society Conference in Entebbe, Uganda – Presented a poster on “Nutrient Management Technologies”, Imperial Beach Hotel, Uganda.
July 14th, 2005: Dissemination workshop in Hotel Equatoria – Gave a presentation on “Establishment of the supply potential of urban market crop waste for soil fertility management”.
April 15th, 2004: Dissemination workshop in Fair way hotel – Gave a presentation on “Establishment of the agronomic value of urban market crop waste for soil fertility management”.
December 2 – 6, 2002: Soil Science Society of East Africa meeting in Mbale, Uganda - Presented a paper on “Urban Market Crop Waste Utilization for Soil Fertility Improvement in a Crop Production System”
September 17 – 19, 2002: The 3rd meeting of the Forum for Organic Resource Management and Agricultural Technologies (FORMAT III) in Nairobi, Kenya, funded by the Rockefeller Foundation - Presented an exhibit on “Garbage, a Hidden Resource”.
November 15 - 17, 2001: The East African Regional Forum for Women Elders, Researchers and Policy Makers in Kisumu, Kenya, organised by Uhai Lake Forum with the theme " Promoting community conservation for sustainable management and utilization of natural resources in the Lake Victoria region with a gender perspective".
November 5-9, 2001: The 2nd meeting of the Forum for Organic Resource Management and Agricultural Technologies in Nairobi, Kenya, funded by the Rockefeller Foundation - Presented an exhibit on the “Use of water hyacinth in Agriculture".
September 19 - 20, 2000: The Forum for Organic Resource Management and Agricultural Technologies (FORMAT) meeting in Nairobi, Kenya, funded by the Rockefeller Foundation - Presented 2 papers on “Use of water hyacinth as an organic fertilizer" and “Uses of the water hyacinth in Agriculture".
July 10 - 14, 2000: The Fourth workshop on Forum for Agricultural Resource Husbandry Conference in Lilongwe, Malawi; organized by the Rockefeller Foundation - Presented 2 papers; the 1st one was on the “Use of water hyacinth waste as an organic input to soils in Uganda" and the 2nd was on “Agricultural products prepared from water hyacinth wastes".
January 18, 2000: Workshop on Water hyacinth utilization in Kawuku, Entebbe, Uganda; organized by ANAMED. - Presented a paper on composting and using the water hyacinth as an agricultural input in Uganda.
October 11 - 14, 1999: The Fourth African Crop Science Conference in Casablanca, Morocco; organized by the African Crop Science Society - Presented a paper on “Bio-productivity and Decomposition of water hyacinth in Uganda".