Professor Fionn MurtaghBA, BAI, MSc, PhD, Habil
FBCS, CITP, FRSA, FIAPR, MRIA, MAE, MISI
Professor of Computer Science
Dr. Fionn Murtagh
Professor of Data Science, Department of Computing and Mathematics, University of Derby
Professor of Data Science, Department of Computing, Goldsmiths University of London
Fionn has a strong track record in research with industrially-relevant consequences, and in teaching and learning. For over 35 years he has been a global leader in research, and applications, of clustering and data analysis, computational statistics, and also modelling and statistical analysis in image and signal processing.
Fionn is editor-in-chief of Computer Journal, the British Computer Society’s flagship journal. He has a leading role in classification societies International Association for Statistical Computing and the British Computer Society, and has been president of both the Classification Society of North Americaand the British Classification Society. He is an elected member of the Royal Irish Academy and Academia Europaea.
- Data Science, Digital Content Analytics
- Big Data
- Computational Science, including innovative models and paradigms from digital humanities and quantitative social sciences
- High Performance Search and Discovery in massive, high dimensional information spaces, linear and constant computational time algorithms
- Multivariate Data Analysis Software
- Image and signal processing - Multiscale Morphological Modelling.
Publications and outputs
- History of cluster analysis Murtagh, F. (2014) History of cluster analysis. In: M. Greenacre and J. Blasius, eds., The Visualization and Verbalization of Data, CRC/Chapman and Hall, in press, 2014
- Computational properties of fiction writing and collaborative work Reddington, J., Murtagh, F. and Cowie, D. (2013) Computational properties of fiction writing and collaborative work. 12th International Symposium on Intelligent Data Analysis, IDA 2013; London, 8207 LNCS, pp. 369-379
- Ward's Hierarchical Agglomerative Clustering Method: Which Algorithms Implement Ward's Criterion? Murtagh, F. and Legendre, P. (2013) Ward's Hierarchical Agglomerative Clustering Method: Which Algorithms Implement Ward's Criterion? Journal of Classification,
- Computational Properties of Fiction Writing and Collaborative Work Reddington, J., Murtagh, F. and Cowie, D. (2013) Computational Properties of Fiction Writing and Collaborative Work, Advances in Intelligent Data Analysis XII, Lecture Notes in Computer Science Volume 8207, pp. 369-379.
- Thinking ultrametrically, thinking p-adically Murtagh, F. (2013) Thinking ultrametrically, thinking p-adically. In: P. Pardalos, B. Goldengorin and F. Aleskerov, eds., Clusters, Orders, Trees: Methods and Applications, Springer, in press,
- Fast, Linear Time, m-Adic Hierarchical Clustering for Search and Retrieval using the BaireMetric, with linkages to Generalized Ultrametrics, Hashing, Formal Concept Analysis, and Precision of Data Measurement Murtagh, F. and Contreras, P. (2012) Fast, Linear Time, mAdic Hierarchical Clustering for Search and Retrieval using the Baire Metric, with linkages to Generalized Ultrametrics, Hashing, Formal Concept Analysis, and Precision of Data Measurement. p-Adic Numbers, Ultrametric Analysis and Applications, 4 (1), pp. 45-56
- Ultrametric model of mind, II: Application to text content analysisMurtagh, F. (2012) Ultrametric model of mind, II: Application to text content analysis. p-Adic Numbers, Ultrametric Analysis and Applications, 4 (3), pp. 207-221
- Ultrametric model of mind, I: Review Murtagh, F. (2012) Ultrametric model of mind, I: Review. p-Adic Numbers, Ultrametric Analysis and Applications, 4 (3), pp. 193-206
- Linear time Baire hierarchical clustering for enterprise information retrieval Contreras, P. and Murtagh, F. (2012) Linear time Baire hierarchical clustering for enterprise information retrieval. International Journal of Software and Informatics, 6 (3), pp. 363-380
- Fast, linear time hierarchical clustering using the Baire metricContreras, P. and Murtagh, F. (2012) Fast, linear time hierarchical clustering using the Baire metric. Journal of Classification, 29 (2), pp. 118--143
Presentations and exhibitionsShort Courses and Tutorials Summer School Course Towards the New Science of Big Data Analytics, Based on the Geometry and the Topology of Complex, Hierarchic Systems 16-20 August 2015, ESSCaSS 2015, 14th Estonian Summer School on Computer and Systems Science, Nelijärve Puhkekeskus, Estonia. Tutorial The New Science of Big Data Analytics, Based on the Geometry and the Topology of Complex Systems 5 July 2015, at the Conference of the International Federation of Classification Societies, 6-8 July, 2015, Bologna, Italy.
Professional activitiesFellowships, Elected Memberships Elected member of scholarly academies: Royal Irish Academy and Academia Europaea.
- Fellow, International Association of Pattern Recognition, IAPR.
- Member, UK Computing Research Council, UKCRC
- Fellow, British Computer Society.
- Member of ELITE, the British Computer Society group for CIOs (Chief Information Officers).
- Fellow of the RSA, Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce.
- Fellow, Royal Statistical Society
- Secretary (former President) British Classification Society.
- Board member (former President), Classification Society (formerly, Classification Society of North America).
- Member, International Statistical Institute.
- Member of Council 2013-2017, IASC, International Association for Statistical Computing.
- Chair 2013-2015 of the Committee on CS-DM&KD, Computational Statistics and Data Mining for Knowledge Discovery, IASC.
- Chair of the Board, Council for Frontiers of Knowledge (CFK), Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda.
- Engineers Ireland
- Gesellschaft für Informatik
- Gesellschaft für Klassifikation
Journal and Book Series Editorial Boards
- Editor-in-Chief, The Computer Journal (Oxford University Press and British Computer Society), 2000–2008, and July 2012 onwards
- Editor, Section C, Computational Intelligence, Machine Learning and Data Analytics
- Editor of Book Series “Computer Science and Data Analysis”, CRC Press/Chapman & Hall (Taylor & Francis), 2002 to date.
- Member, Editorial Board, PeerJ Computer Science, starting 2015
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Language & Psychoanalysis (online, open access), 2014 to date
- Member of Editorial Board, Pattern Recognition (Elsevier), 2010 to 2013
- Member of Editorial Board, p-Adic Numbers, Ultrametric Analysis and Applications (Russian Academy of Sciences and Springer), 2009 to date.
- Member of Editorial Board, Progress in Artificial Intelligence (Springer), 2011 to date
- Member of Editorial Board, Journal of Imaging (MDPI, starting 2015)
- Member of Editorial Board, International Journal of Software and Informatics (Institute of Software, Chinese Academy of Sciences), 2008 to date.
- Member of Editorial Board, Neurocomputing (Elsevier), 1992 to date
- Member of Editorial Board, Journal of Classification (Springer-Verlag), 1984 to date
- Member of Editorial Board, Information – Xinxi – Joho , International Journal in English, Chinese, Japanese, Yamaguchi University, 1999–2005
- Member of Editorial Board, Les Cahiers de l’Analyse des Données, (Dunod), 1981– 1998
- Member of Editorial Board, Journal of Multivariate Analysis (Academic), 1999– 2004
- Member of Editorial Board, Artificial Intelligence Review (Kluwer), 1997–2007
- Member of Technical Advisory Board, New Astronomy (Elsevier), 1996 to 2004
- SLDS, Symposium on Statistical Learning and Data Science, 20-22 April 2015, Royal Holloway, University of London. Programme Committee Co-Chair. Organiser, session on Geometric Data Analysis.
- ISI2015, 60th World Statistics Congress, Organiser, Special Topic Paper Session (STS) on The New Data Science: Statistical Analysis of Massive, High Dimensional Systems, 26-31 July 2015, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Statistical Computing for Data Science (Joint Meeting of IASC-ABE Satellite Conference for the 60th ISI WSC 2015 / IASC Satellite Conference 2015), 2-5 August 2015, Atlântico Búzios Convention and Resort, Búzios, RJ, Brazil. Member, Scientific Programme Committee.
- ECDA, European Conference on Data Analysis, 2-4 September 2015, University of Essex. Member Programme Committee.
- p-Adics2015, International Conference on p-Adic Mathematical Physics and Its Applications, 7-12 September 2015, Belgrade, Serbia. Member Programme Committee, invited speaker.
- CARME 2015, Correspondence Analysis and Related Methods, 20-23 September 2015, Naples, Italy.
- Astroinformatics 2015, 5-9 October 2015, Dubrovnik, Croatia. Member Scientific Organizing Committee.
- CLA 2015, 12th International Conference on Concept Lattices and their Applications, 13-16 October 2015, Clermont-Ferrand, France. Invited Speaker.