Posted by Mark
Area of Expertise
Software engineering; requirements engineering; concurrent, distributed and adaptive software systems; computing education
Ph.D., Imperial College London, UK, Computing, 1979; MSc., Imperial College London, UK, Computing, 1972; BSc (Eng), University of Natal, South Africa, 1969.
2009-present Senior Dean, Imperial College London, UK.
2006-2009 Dean, Faculty of Engineering, Imperial College London, UK.
1999-2004 Head, Department of Computing, Imperial College London, UK.
1995-present Professor of Distributed Computing, Imperial College London, UK.
1976-1995 Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Reader in Computing, Imperial College London, UK.
1973-1976 Programmer, Research Assistant, Imperial College London, UK.
- Sloman, M.S., and Kramer,J., “Distributed Systems and Computer Networks” , Prentice Hall Int., England, Nov. 1986, 336 pages. (The book has been translated into Japanese and German)
- Magee, J. and Kramer, J., “Concurrency: State Models & Java Programs”, 2nd Edition, John Wiley & Sons (Worldwide Series in Computer Science), April 2006, 413 pages.
- Kramer,J., and Magee,J., “Dynamic Configuration for Distributed Systems”, IEEE Trans. on Software Eng., SE-11 (4), (1985), 424-436.
- Magee, J., Kramer, J., and Sloman, M.S., “Constructing Distributed Systems in Conic, IEEE Trans. on Software Eng., SE-15 (6), (1989), 663-675.
- Kramer,J., and Magee,J., “The Evolving Philosophers Problem: Dynamic Change Management”, IEEE Trans. on Software Eng., SE-16 (11), (1990), 1293-1306.
- Nuseibeh, B., Kramer, J., and Finkelstein, A., â€œA Framework for Expressing the Relationship between Multiple Views in Requirements Specificationsâ€, IEEE Trans. on Software Eng., SE-20 (10), Special Issue on ICSE-15, (1994), 760-773.
- Magee, J., Dulay, N., Eisenbach, S., Kramer,J. â€œSpecifying Distributed Software Architecturesâ€, 5th European Software Engineering Conference (ESEC â€˜95), Sitges, September 199), LNCS 989, (Springer-Verlag), 1995, 137-153.
- Van Ommering R., van der Linden F., Kramer J., and Magee J., “The Koala Component Model for Consumer Electronics Software “,, 33 (3), March 2000, 78-85.
- Uchitel S., Kramer J. and Magee J., â€œSynthesis of Behavioral Models from Scenariosâ€, IEEE Trans. on Software Eng., SE-29 (2), Feb. 2003, 99-115.
- Kramer J.. â€œIs Abstraction the Key to Computing?â€, Communications of the ACM, 50 (4), April 2007, 36 â€“ 42.
- General Co-Chair for ACM/IEEE International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE-2010), Cape Town, May, 2010.
- Programme Co-Chair for IEEE Israeli Software Engineering Conference (SwSTE’10), Herzlia, 2007 and 2010.
- Programme Co-Chair for 21st IEEE International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE-99), Los Angeles, May, 1999.
- Member of the International Advisory Board (IAB) for the National Institute of Informatics, Tokyo, Japan (2009 â€“ present).
- Computing Expert: World Bank Project for the improvement of the Provincial Universities of Peoples Republic of China, 1991.
- Editor-in-Chief of IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (IEEE TSE) (2006-2009)
- Member, Board of Directors, The Council for Frontiers of Knowledge (2010-current)
- Associate editor and Member Editorial Board of IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (IEEE TSE) (2003-2005)
- Associate Editor and Member Editorial Board, ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology (TOSEM) (1995-2001)
- Member of the editorial board of IEEE Concurrency (1995-1999)
Awards and Honors
- Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering (2008-present)
- Fellowship of the City and Guilds of London Institute (2007-present)
- 2005 ACM SIGSOFT Outstanding Research Award (joint with Prof. Magee) for significant and lasting research contributions to software engineering (http://www.sigsoft.org/awards/outResAwd.htm.)
- Most Influential Paper Award at International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2003).
- SouthAfrican Ernest Oppenheimer Memorial Trust – W D Wilson Visiting Fellowship for South Africa in 1995.
Graduate Research Supervision
Supervised 21 PhD dissertation research and 1 MPhil research dissertation in the fields of distributed computing, software engineering, software architectures and software analysis..
Professional Society Membership
- Fellow of the ACM (Association of Computing Machinery) (2000-present)
- Fellow of the BCS (British Computer Society) (2005-present)
- Fellow of the IET (Institution of Engineering and Technology) (1992-present)
- Chartered Engineer (CITP) (1986-present)