Area of Expertise
Bioelectrochemistry, bioanalytical chemistry, microfluidic lab-on-a-chip systems & (bio)sensor arrays for monitoring cellular dynamics at nanoscale, biofuel cells, high through put screening systems.
BSc 1986, Analytical Chemistry, Lund University (LU), Sweden; PhD 1992, Analytical Chemistry, LU, Sweden; Associate Prof. (docent) 1998, Analytical Chemistry, LU, Sweden.
Total number of citations: 2924
||Assistant Professor, Analytical Chemistry, LU
||Lecturer (tenure) 1999-March 2007, Analytical Chemistry, LU, Sweden.
||Professor, Dept Micro and Nanotechnology, DTU Nanotech, Building 345east, room no. 254, DK-2800 Kgs. Lyngby, Denmark.
||Section leader of Biomedical Microsystems (BIOMICS), DTU Nanotech
- H-index: 26
. ISI journal publications: 107
; Citations: 2836
; H-index: 26
; Other publications: 21
- A. Heiskanen and J. Emnéus, Monitoring of cellular dynamics with electrochemical detection techniques, Applications of Electrochemistry and Nanotechnology in Biology and Medicine I & II, in the series entitled: Modern Aspects of Electrochemistry, Ed. N. Eliaz, Springer: New York, 2010, p. 1-102. Invited
- Maciej Skolimowski, Martin Weiss Nielsen, Jenny Emnéus, Søren Molin, Rafael Taboryski, Claus Sternberg, Martin Dufva and Oliver Geschke, Microfluidic dissolved oxygen gradient generator biochip as a useful tool in bacterial biofilm studies. Lab Chip, 10 (2010) 2162-2169
- Natalie Kostesha, Karin Willquist, J. Emneus, Ed W.J. van Niel, Probing the redox metabolism in the strictly anaerobic, extremely thermophilic, hydrogen-producing Caldicellulosiruptor saccharolyticus using amperometry, Extremophiles 15 (2010)77-87.
- Heiskanen C. Spégel, N. Kostesha, S. Lindahl , T. Ruzgas, J. Emnéus, Mediator Assisted Simultaneous Assessment of Cytosolic and Mitochondrial Redox Activity in Living cells. Anal. Biochem. 384(2009)11-19
- J. S. Hansen, M. Perry, J. Vogel, T. Vissing, C. Rein Hansen, O. Geschke, J. Emnéus, and C. Hélix Nielsen. Development of an automation technique for the establishment of functional lipid bilayer arrays. Accelerated article in Journal of Micromechanics 19 (2009) 025014 (11pp).
- W. Laiwattanapaisal,J. Yakovleva, M. Bengtsson, T. Laurell, S. Wiyakrutta, V. Meevootisom, O. Chailapakul, and J. Emnéus, On-chip microfluidic systems for determination of L-glutamate based on enzymatic recycling of substrate, Biomicrofluidics 3 2009) 014104.
- N. V. Kostesha, A. Heiskanen, C. Spégel, B. Hahn-Hägerdal, M-F. Gorwa-Grauslund, and J. Emnéus, Electrochemical probing of the in vivo 5-hydroxymethyl furfural reduction in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Anal. Chem. 81 (2009) 9896–9901.
- C. Spegel, A. Heiskanen, L. H. Dæhli Skjolding and J. Emnéus, Chip Based Electroanalytical Systems for Cell Analysis – invited review, Electroanalysis 20 (2008) 680-702.
- J. Yakovleva and J. Emnéus. Electrochemical Immunoassays in Bioelectrochemistry. Fundamentals, Experimental Techniques and Applications, Ed. Philip N. Bartlett. 2008, pp 377- 410, Wiley, Chichester, West Sussex. Invited.
- C. Spégel, A. Heiskanen, S. Pedersen, J. Emnéus, T. Ruzgas and R. Taboryski, Fully Automated Microchip System for the Detection of Quantal Exocytosis from Single and Small Ensembles of Cells, Lab Chip 8 (2008) 323-329.
- A. Heiskanen, C. Spégel, Natalie Kostesha, T. Ruzgas and J. Emnéus. Monitoring of Saccharomyces cerevisiae Cell Proliferation on Thiol-Modified Planar Gold-Microelectrodes Using Impedance Spectroscopy. Langmuir, 24 (2008) 9066.
Conference organiser (selected)
- Evaluation panel for Swedish Research Council 2002 and 2003
- Member of the Board of Chemistry at Naturaal Science faculty, LU 2004-2006
- Environmental Committee, Chemical Centre, LU 2004-2006
- Board of the Chemical Institution, LU 2003-2007
- Executive board of the European Network of Excellence Nano2Life 2003-2008
- Expert of the European Observatory of Nanobiotechnology (EON)
- Management Board of DTU Nanotech 2007-2011
- Evaluator and rapporteur for the EU FP7 Environment program, June-July 2007
- Member of the technical program committee of the micro-TAS conference since 2008-present
- Task force member in Protein.DTU 2009-present
- Head of the Biomedical Microsystems Section (BIOMICS) at DTU Nanotech 2007-2011
- Coordinator of five major EU projects within the 4th, 5th , 6th framework programme between 1998-2006
- Current coordinator of the EU FP7 project “Exploring Cellular Dynamics at Nanoscale - EXCELL ”.2008-2011
- Panel of “Health, Biotechnology and Life science” for the Danish roadmap of research infrastructure 2010
- Board of the Frontiers of Knowledge board (The CFK board) 2011
- Evaluation board for evaluating chemistry, Uppsala University, Sweden, May 2011
Graduate/Post-graduate Research Advising
- Chair and main-organiser of “2nd Workshop on Biosensors and Biological Techniques in Environmental Analysis, Grand Hotel, Lund, Sweden, Sept. 11-13, 1996.
- Chair of “future workshop for Chemistry” for increasing the communication on chemistry education between Industries, Universities, high schools, the public, Odengården, Höör, June 13-14, 2002.
- Local organizing committee for microTAS 2004, Malmö, Sweden.
- Co-chair of Nano2Life´s scientific conference in Lund, October 2008;
- Scientific Advisory Board of Biotech Innovation through Nanotech (Science Dating), DTU Nov. 2007 and Carlsberg May 2009;
- Local organizing committee of the Bioelectrochemical Society’s annual conference (BES 2015) to be held in the Øresund region 2015.
Main supervisor of PhD students – 11 (6 graduated); Co-supervisor PhD students – 17 (11 graduated); Postdocs
and guest researchers
– 11 (2 current)