Area of Expertise
Biomedical Research; Public Health; Epidemiology; Preventive Medicine; Health Economics; Financial Analysis; Natural Chemotherapeutic Bioassays; Lung immunology; Biosafety; Antibiotic Resistance; Pesticides Research; Zoonoses; Livestock Health; Wildlife Health and Economics and Risk Assessment
Ph.D; University of Minnesota USA (Microbiology, Immunology and Public Health) 1983; MPH University of Minnesota, USA (Epidemiology and Veterinary Public Health) 1980; BVM Makerere University 1977.
|2008 August-present||First Deputy Vice Chancellor, Academic Affairs (Provost), Kyambogo University, Uganda|
|1997 – 2008||Professor of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Makerere University.|
|1999 – 2003||Director (Dean) of the Graduate School, Makerere University.|
|1993 March- September||Visiting Professor Nagasaki Institute of Tropical Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine as an Immunology of the lung specialist.|
|1991-1992||Senior Fulbright African Research Scholar, University of California, Davis and Plum Island, New York.|
|1980 – 1983||Teaching Assistant in Microbiology, Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Minnesota, College of Veterinary Medicine|
|1985 – 1998||Head of Department of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Makerere University|
|1.||Oloya, J., and Opuda-Asibo J. (2006). Management of associated malpositions and malformations in un-hatched chicken eggs in selected hatcheries in Uganda. African Journal of Animal and Biomedical Sciences. 1:(1):7 – 18|
|2||Oloya, J., Opuda-Asibo J., Djønne, B., Muma, J.B. Matope, G., Kazwala, R. and E. Skjerve (2006). Responses to tuberculin among Zebu cattle in the transhumance regions of Karamoja and Nakasongola district of Uganda. Tropical Animal Health and Production 38:275-283|
|3||J. Oloya, J. B. Muma, J. Opuda-Asibo. ; Djønne B; Muma J B; Matope G; Kazwala R; Skjerve E (2006). Responses to tuberculin among Zebu cattle in the transhumance regions of Karamoja and Nakasongola district of Uganda. Tropical animal health and production 38(4):275-83.|
|4||Opuda-Asibo, J. (2006). Strategic elements in effective Veterinary Research/ Investigations: Critical Literature Review. African Journal of Animal and Biomedical Sciences. 1:(1)|
|5||Oloya J; Muma J B; Opuda-Asibo J; Djønne B; Kazwala R; Skjerve E (2007). Risk factors for herd-level bovine-tuberculosis seropositivity in transhumant cattle in Uganda. Preventive Veterinary Medicine 80(4):318-29.|
|6||Oloya J; Kazwala R; Lund A; Opuda-Asibo J; Demelash B; Skjerve E; Johansen T B; Djønne B (2007) Characterisation of mycobacteria isolated from slaughter cattle in pastoral regions of Uganda. BMC microbiology 7:95.|
|7||Francis Ejobi, Paul Muller, John Opuda-Asibo and Joachim Kruger (2007). Polychlorinated Biphenols and organochlorine pesticides residues in the Nile Perch (Lates nilotica) from Lake Victoria, in Uganda. Journal of Fisheries International 2 (2): 158-161|
|8||Oloya J; Opuda-Asibo J; Kazwala R; Demelash A B; Skjerve E; Lund A; Johansen T B; Djonne B (2008) Mycobacteria causing human cervical lymphadenitis in pastoral communities in the Karamoja region of Uganda. Epidemiology and infection 136(5):636-43.|
|9||Kyeyamwa, H.; Speelman Stijn; Opuda-Asibo, J.; Van Huylenbroeck Guido and Verbeke Wim;. (2008). Raising off-take from cattle grazed on natural rangelands in sub-Saharan Africa: Transaction cost economics approach. Agricultural Economics|
|Kyeyamwa, H.;Verbeke Wim; Speelman Stijn; Opuda-Asibo, J. and Van Huylenbroeck Guido. (2008). Structure and dynamics of livestock marketing constraints and prospects for research and development. Agribusiness Marketing|
|1||Uganda National Research Council 1984-1989 and The National Council of Science and Technology, Medical Sciences Division (1990 to 2000).|
|2||The National Council of Science and Technology, Biosafety Committee (1995 to date) and Chairman Uganda National Biosafety Committee (2005 – 2010)|
|3||Member of the Executive Committee, Uganda Veterinary Association, (1994-1995) and the Educational and the Editorial Committees, Uganda Veterinary Association.|
- Member, Board of Directors, Council for Frontiers of Knowledge, Uganda, Africa (2005-present)
- Member of the Food and Agricultural Committee of the Uganda National Bureau of Standards.
- Member of Uganda National Academy of Sciences
- Member of the American Public Health Association
- Member of the Association of Teachers of Veterinary Public Health and Preventive Medicine, USA.
- Member of the International Society of Veterinary Epidemiology and Economics
- Member of the International Council for Science for Africa
Awards and Honors
- UNDP/FAO fellowship for studies towards the PhD degree in Microbiology and Public Health, 1981/82 – 1982/83 University of Minnesota, USA.
- Visiting Scientist Robert Von Ostertag FAO/WHO collaborative Institute of Food Hygiene, Germany, 1986.
- Visiting Scientist at the Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University in Copenhagen, Denmark, Department of Microbiology and Food Hygiene and the Serum Institute, 1988.
- Fulbright Research Scholarship at the University of California-Davis and Plum Island (Foreign Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory) USA, 1991-1992.
- Visiting Research Professorship Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nagasaki University, Japan (1993).
- DAAD (Germany Academic Exchange Program) Doctoral Sandwich Supervision for two Ugandan students at the Universities of Goetingen and Saarland (1996-1999), and one German Doctorate student at University of Hanover through Cuxhaven Fisheries Institute.
Graduate Research Advising
- Supervisor of 28 MS students between 1987 to date, and 20 PhD degree students between 1995 to date
Professional Society Membership
The National Council of Science and Technology, Biosafety Committee (1995 to date) Member: Educational and the Editorial Committees, Uganda Veterinary Association; Food and Agricultural Committee of the Uganda National Bureau of Standards; Uganda National Academy of Sciences
Member: American Public Health Association; Association of Teachers of Veterinary Public Health and Preventive Medicine, USA; Member of the International Society of Veterinary Epidemiology and Economics