Areas of Expertise
Materials Science and Engineering for Energy and the Environment, Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Electrolytes, Nuclear Waste Host Materials, Nanoparticle Metrology, Grain Boundaries and Interfaces, Superplastic Ceramics, Transmission Electron Microscopy
Post-doctoral Scholar, Max-Planck-Institut für Metallforschung, Stuttgart, Germany (1984-1985)
Ph.D. Stanford University, Materials Science & Engineering (1984)
M.S. Stanford University, Materials Science & Engineering (1980)
B.S. Case Western Reserve University, Metallurgical Engineering and Materials Science (1979)
B.A. Case Western Reserve University, Classics (1979)
|2002 - present||Professor of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, UC Irvine|
|2001||Affiliated Faculty Member with the Newkirk Center for Science and Society|
|2000||Affiliated Faculty Member with the National Fuel Cell Research Center|
|1999||Affiliated Faculty Member with the Integrated Nanosystems Research Facility|
|1990 - 2001||Associate Professor of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, UC Irvine|
|1998 - 2000||Associate Dean of Graduate Studies, UC Irvine (50% position)|
|Winter 1989||Visiting Scientist, Rockwell Science Center, Thousand Oaks, CA|
|1989||Affiliated Faculty Member in Interfacial Engineering UMN|
|1988||Affiliated Faculty Member in Ancient Studies UMN|
|1985 - 1992||1992 Assistant Professor, Chemical Eng. and Materials Science, U. of Minnesota.|
|1990-1992||Leave of absence|
- C.M. Hoo, M.L. Mecartney, P. West, and N. Starostina, “A Comparison of Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM) and Dynamic Light Scattering (DLS) Methods to Characterize Nanoparticle Size Distributions,” Journal of Nanoparticle Research 10  89-96 (2008).
- R.P. Dillon, D.K. Kim, J.E. Trujillo, W. M. Kriven, and M.L. Mecartney, “Creep Characteristics of Alumina, Nickel Alumina spinel, Zirconia Composites,” Journal of Materials Research 23  556-564 (2008).
- Lili Taherabadi, Joy E. Trujillo, Tiandan Chen, John R. Porter, and Martha L. Mecartney, “Observation of Dislocation Assisted High Temperature Deformation in Mullite and Mullite Composites,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society 28  371-376 (2008).
- T. Chen, F.A. Mohamed, M.L. Mecartney, “Threshold behavior and dislocation accommodated superplastic deformation in an alumina-zirconia-mullite ceramic composite,” Acta Materialia 54  4415-4426 (2006).
- T. Chen and M.L Mecartney, “A High-Strain-Rate Alumina-based Ceramic Composite,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society 88  1004-1006 (2005)
- A.A. Sharif and M.L. Mecartney“Superplasticity in cubic yttria stabilized zirconia with 10 wt.% alumina,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society 24  2041-2047 (2004).
- M.C. Martin and M.L. Mecartney. “Grain Boundary Ionic Conductivity of Yttria Stabilized Zirconia as a Function of Silica Content and Grain Size,” Solid State Ionics, 161 [1-2] 67-79 (2003).
- A.A. Sharif and M.L. Mecartney. “Superplasticity in Cubic Yttria-Sabilized Zirconia with Intergranular Silica,” Acta Materialia, 51  1633-9 (2003).
- 9. P.H. Imamura, T. Sakuma, N.D. Evans, and M.L. Mecartney, “High Temperature Tensile Deformation of Glass Doped 3Y-TZP,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society , 83  3095-3099 (2000).
- 10. A.A. Sharif, P.H. Imamura, T.E. Mitchell, and M.L. Mecartney, “Grain Growth of Cubic Yttria Stabilized Zirconia in the Presence of Intergranular Silicate Phases,” Acta Mat. 46 3863-3872 (1998).
- Chair, Gordon Research Conference on Solid State Studies in Ceramics, (2012)
- Organizer for Design, Simulation and Computation Modeling of Interfaces Symposium for PACRIM 2009 American Ceramic Society (2009)
- Diversity Advisory Council member for the Graduate Division, UC Irvine, (2007-present)
- Graduate Advisor, Materials Science and Engineering and GAANN Director, UC Irvine, (2007-present)
- Chair of the Academic Senate, UC Irvine (2006/2007), Secretary and Chair-Elect (2005/2006)
- Member, Board of Governors, Council for Frontiers of Knowledge, Uganda, Africa (2008-current)
- Counselor, Basic Science Division, American Ceramic Society (2008-2011)
- Chair of the Basic Science Division of the American Ceramic Society (2007/2008)
Awards and Honors
- Professor of the Year, Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, UCI, 2006
- Presidential Award for Excellence in Math, Science, and Engineering Mentoring (White House/NSF) 2003
- Crystal Award from MANA (Orange County Hispanic women’s mentoring organization) for mentoring activities at UCI, 2001
- David and Lucille Packard Fellowship in Science and Engineering, 1988
- Fellowship for Faculty Study Visit to the Federal Republic of Germany, from German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), Summer 1986
Graduate Research Advising
- Supervised 16 Ph.D. dissertations and 10 M.S. research projects in the fields of Materials Science and Engineering, Chemical Engineering, and Ancient Studies, and three post-doctoral scholars. Currently supervising 4 Ph.D. students and one M.S. student (2009).
Professional Society Membership
- Member, American Ceramic Society
- Member, Materials Research Society
- Member, American Association for the Advancement of Science