Areas of Expertise
Agroforestry, Tropical Agriculture (Agronomy, Soil Science), International Forestry
Academic PreparationDr. sc. agr. (= Ph.D), Tropical agriculture, University of GÃ¶ttingen, Germany, 1978; Ph.D., Agronomy and Soil Science, Pantnagar Agricultural University, India, 1971; MSc (Agri), Agronomy, 1968 and BSc (Agri), 1961, Kerala University, India. Professional Appointments
|2001 - present||Distinguished Professor; Director, Center for Subtropical Agroforestry, IFAS, University of Florida|
|1987 - 2001||Professor, IFAS, University of Florida|
|1978 - 1987||Principal Scientist, ICRAF (World Agroforestry Centre) CGIAR, Nairobi, Kenya|
|1976 - 1978||1978 Senior Humboldt Fellow, Inst of World Ecosystems, University of GÃ¶ttingen, Germany|
|1972 - 1976||Agronomist (Soils), Central Plantation Crops Research Institute, ICAR, Kerala, India|
|1971 - 1972||Post-doctoral Fellow, Rothamsted Experimental Station, Harpenden, Herts, U. K.|
- Nair, P. K. R., Kumar, B. M., and Nair, V. D. 2009. Agroforestry as a strategy for carbon sequestration. J. Soil Sci Plant Nutri 172: 10 - 23.
- Haile, H.G., Nair, P. K. R., and Nair, V. D. 2008. Soil carbon storage in different size fractions in silvopastoral systems of Florida. J. Env Qual 37: 1789 - 1797.
- Takimoto, A., Nair, P. K. R., and Nair, V. D. 2008. Carbon stock and sequestration potential of agroforestry systems in the West African Sahel. Agri Ecosyst Environ 125: 159 - 166.
- Nair, P. K. R., Gordon, A. M., and Mosquera-Losada, M.-R. 2008. Agroforestry. In: Encyclopedia of Ecology, 1: 101 - 110. Elsevier, Oxford, U.K.
- Nair, P. K. R. 2007. The coming of age of agroforestry. J Sci Food Agri 87: 1613 - 1619.
- Nair, V. D., P. K. R. Nair, R. S. Kalmbacher, and I. V. Ezenwa. 2007. Reducing nutrient loss from farms through silvopastoral practices in coarse-textured soils of Florida, Ecol Eng 29: 192 - 199.
- Kumar, B. M. and Nair, P. K. R. (eds) 2006. Tropical Homegardens: A Time-Tested Example of Sustainable Agroforestry. Adv Agrofor 3. Springer, The Netherlands. 390 p.
- Nair, P. K. R. 2005. Agroforestry: Trees in support of sustainable agriculture. In: Hillel, H., et al. (eds), Encyclopedia of Soils in the Environment. Vo1 1, pp. 35 - 44. Elsevier, London.
- Nair, P. K. R., Rao, M. R. and Buck, L. E. (eds) 2004. New Vistas in Agroforestry. Kluwer, The Netherlands. 475 p.
- Nair, P. K. R. 1993. An Introduction to Agroforestry, Kluwer, The Netherlands, 440 p (translated into three languages)
[Career: Books written, sole author: 5; Books, edited: 6 (sole editor 1; co-edited 5); Book chapters written: 38 (including five encyclopedia-chapter contributions); Research papers, refereed: 150+]
- Book Series Editor (since 2004), Advances in Agroforestry, Springer Science, the Netherlands.
- Editor-in-Chief, Agroforestry Systems (International Scientific Journal), 1994 - 2005
- Member, Editorial Board, Three journals
- Chair, Global Organizing Committee, 1st World Congress of Agroforestry, 2004, Orlando, FL, USA; and co-Chair, Global Organizing Committee, 2nd World Congress of Agroforestry, Nairobi, Kenya, 2009.
- Various committee assignments, the tri-societies of Agronomy/Crops/Soil Science societies of America; past 15 yr
- Consultant/Advisor to public and private research and development organizations in several countries, UN agencies, the World Bank and other development assistance banks, several bilateral and multilateral donor agencies and Foundations.
- Fellow, American Society of Agronomy, since 1999
- Fellow, Soil Science Society of America, since 2001
- Fellow, National Academy of Agricultural Sciences, India, since 2001
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), since 2002
- Fellow, World Innovation Foundation, U. K. since 2003
- Fellow, Crop Science Society of America, since 2007
Awards and Honors
- The Humboldt Prize (Alexander von Humboldt Foundation), Germany, 200
- Honorary Doctorate Degrees from Kyoto, Japan (2002); Kumasi, Ghana (2005); Guelph, Canada (2006); and Santiago de Compostela, Spain (2008).
- Fulbright Senior Specialist Award for Spain, October 2005; Malaysia, April 2006
- Dissertation/Mentoring Award, University of Florida, 2005 - 2006
- Scientific Achievement Award, Intâ€™l Union of Forestry Res. Organizations, (World Forestry Congress, Brisbane, Australia) 2005
- Distinguished International Educator, University of Florida, 2004
- Barrington Moore Award in Forest Biology, Society of American Foresters, 2004
- International Crop Science Award, Crop Sci. Society of America, 2004
- University of Florid Research Foundation Professorship, 2004
- International Award of Merit, Gamma Sigma Delta Honor Soc. of Agri., Spring 2002
- International Soil Science Award, Soil Science Society of America, 2001
- Graduate Teacher and Advisor, College of Agri. and Life Sciences, Univ of Florida, 2000-2001
- International Agronomy Award, American Society of Agronomy, 2000
- Listed in numerous Who’s Who publications
Graduate Research Advising
- Supervised 24 PhD dissertation research; two in progress; and 24 M.S. theses projects
- External examiner of theses and dissertations of universities in Canada, Kenya, Thailand, Zimbabwe