|Marquette Univ. Milwaukee
|Michigan State Univ
||Plant Research Lab
|Ph.D. Thesis Dissertation, Michigan State University. The gas vacuole membrane of Microcystis aeruginosa: A partial amino acid sequence.
||Metabolic Modeling Workshop at ASPP annual meeting.
||Zymark Short Course on Laboratory Robotics
||Tufts University Medical School, Summer Institute in Biotechnology
||Professor Metabolic Engineering, Judd Hill Chair of Agricultural Biotechnology, Arkansas State University, Jonesboro, AR (sabbatical leave)
||Professor, Biology & Biotechnology, WPI
||Associate Professor, Biology & Biotechnology WPI, (tenured in 1990)
||Assistant Professor, Biology & Biotechnology, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
||Visiting Lecturer, Biology, College of the Holy Cross
||Wellesley College: 1976-77: Temporary Assistant Professor, Biology
||Michigan State University: Teaching Assistant, Plant Biochemistry
WORK EXPERIENCE OTHER THAN TEACHING:
||Director, Molecular Bioscience Ph.D. program, Arkansas State University, Jonesboro, AR
||President – CEO, Bio Rational Technologies, Inc. A Biotechnology Technology Transfer Firm
||Research Assistant Professor, Biology & Biotechnology (part time), Worcester Polytechnic Institute
||Research Associate, with James F. Danielli, Life Sciences (part time), Worcester Polytechnic Institute
||Wellesley College: 1974-76: Research Associate, with Mary M. Allen, Biology
1977-78: Research Associate, with Mary M. Allen, Biology
RESEARCH AND TEACHING INTERESTS
||Biotechnology Industry: Bioprocess, Bioenergy, & Plant Biotechnology. Clients have included Massachusetts companies: New England Apple, New England Renewable Fuels, EcoScience, LSR, Hybridon, Bionatural Products, Advanced Process Technologies, Inc., Freeman Energy Corp., Infinity Pharmaceuticals, and New York companies: Manostat Corp., and Waterford Farms, .
||Tufts University Industrial Advisory Board for the Bioengineering Center.
||Bay State Skills Corp., Curriculum Consultant in Biotechnology. Co-developed curriculum (with J. Leyerla) for Becker Junior College, Worcester, Biotechnician Training Program. (2 yr.).
||University California, Santa Cruz, Curriculum Consultant, Bioprocess Engineering.
||Middlesex Community College, Bedford, MA, Curriculum Consultant, Biotechnician Certification Program.
||Minuteman Science and Technology High School, Lexington, MA, Biotechnology Curriculum Consultant.
Research interests include: Differentiated plant tissues and production of secondary metabolites especially terpenoids, bioreactor development for differentiated tissues, downstream processing and scale-up for improving bioprocesses for the production of secondary products from cultured plant tissues especially roots, and more recently, algal biofuels. I lead the Interdisciplinary Plant Research Group, composed of engineers, biochemists, plant biologists, and physicists, who work on challenging problems in both the applied and basic plant sciences that cross disciplines.
Teaching activities have included: Development and implementation of new advanced courses in Protein Purification and Downstream Processing
(taught 1986-2001), Scale-up
(team taught for 2 years). I currently also teach two plant courses to undergraduates, Plant Diversity
and Plant Morphology and Development
, Plant Physiology
, and graduate level Topics in Advanced Plant Physiology, Journal Club in Biology and Biotechnology, Professional Ethics in Life Science Research, and Advanced Applied Biology
. I have developed, piloted, evaluated, and disseminated numerous lab videos in Cell Biotechnology for grades 8-college. These were, but no longer are, on the market.
, undergraduate co-authors; und
, graduate student co-authors)
- Jost, M., Jones, D.D., and Weathers, P.J. 1971. Counting of gas vacuoles by electron microscopy in lysates and purified fractions of Microcystis aeruginosa. Protoplasma 73:329.
- Simon, R.A., and Weathers, P.J. 1976. Determination of the structure of the novel polypeptide containing aspartic acid and arginine which is found in Cyanobacteria. Biochem. Biophys. Acta 420:165.
- Weathers, P.J., Jost, M., and Lamport. D.T.A. 1977. The gas vacuole membrane of Microcystis aeruginosa: A partial amino acid sequence. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 178:226.
- Weathers, P.J and Allen, M.M. 1978. Variations in short term products of inorganic carbon fixation in exponential and stationary phase cultures of Aphanocapsa 6308. Arch. Microbiol. 116:231.
- Weathers, P.J., Chee, H.L., and Allen, M.M. 1978. Arginine catabolism in Aphanocapsa 6308. Arch. Microbiol. 118:1.
- Allen, M.M., Hutchison, F., and Weathers,, P.J. 1980. Cyanophycin granule polypeptide formation and degradation in the Cyanobacterium Aphanocapsa 6308. J. Bact. 141:687.
- Allen, M.M. and Weathers, P.J. 1980. The structure and composition of cyanophycin granules in the Cyanobacterium Aphanocapsa 6308. J. Bact. 141:959.
- Miller, J.E., Weathers, P.J., McConville, F.X., and Goldberg, M. 1982. Saccharification and ethanol fermentation of apple pomace. Biotech. and Bioeng. Symp. 12:183-191.
- Weathers, P.J. 1984. N20 evolution by green algae. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 48:1251-1253.
- Weathers, P.J., Danielli, J.F., Bradley, P.M., Hebb, D.M., Miller, J.E., and Pesano, R.L. 1984. Possible evidence for novel metabolism of nitrogen gas by a green alga. Physiol. Plant. 61:441-448.
- Weathers, P.J. and Niedzielski, J. 1986. N20 production by cyanobacteria. Arch. Microbiol. 146:204.
- DiIorio, A.A., Weathers, P.J., and Campbell, D.A. 1987. Comparative enzyme and ethanol production in an isogenic yeast ploidy series. Curr. Genet. 12:9-14.
- Weathers, P.J., Cheetham, R.D., and Giles, K.L. 1988. Dramatic increases in shoot number and length for Musa, Cordyline, and Nephrolepis using nutrient mists. Acta Hortic. 230:39-43.
- Weathers, P.J. and Giles, K.L. 1988. Regeneration of plants using nutrient mists. In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology-Plant. 24:727-732.
- Weathers, P.J. 1988. Biochemistry in an industrial context: methods of protein purification and downstream processing. J. Chem. Ed. 65:854-856.
- Crusberg, T.C., Weathers, P.J., and Baker, E.1989. Fungal biotrap for retrieval of heavy metals from industrial wastewaters. Third Intnl. Conf. on New Frontiers for Hazard. Waste Management. EPA/600/9-89/072. pp. 196-203.
- Weathers, P.J., and Blanchard, J. 1990. Multiple fruiting of the edible mushroom Coprinus cinereus from explants of the stipe. Appl. Microbiol. & Biotechnol. 33:652-656.
- DiIorio, A.A., Cheetham, R.D., Weathers, P.J. 1992. Carbon dioxide improves the growth of hairy roots cultured on solid medium and in nutrient mists. Applied Microbiol. Biotechnol., 37:463-467.
- DiIorio, A.A., Cheetham, R.D., Weathers, P.J. 1992. Growth of transformed roots in a nutrient mist bioreactor: reactor performance and evaluation. Applied Microbiol. Biotechnol., 37:457-462.
- Cheetham, R.D., Mikloiche, C., Glubiak, M., and Weathers, P. 1992. Micropropagation of a recalcitrant male asparagus (MD 22-8) clone. Plant Cell Tissue and Organ Culture 31:15-19.
- Weathers, P.J., Fadzillah, N.A.M., and Cheetham, R.D. 1992. Light inhibits the formation of capsaicin from Capsicum callus. Planta Medica, 58:278-279.
- Friberg, JA, Weathers, PJ, Gibson, DG 1992. Culture of amebocytes in a nutrient mist bioreactor. In Vitro Cell and Developmental Biology 28A:215-217.
- DiIorio, A.A., Weathers, P.J., Cheetham, R.D. 1993. Non-lethal secondary product release from transformed root cultures of Beta vulgaris. Applied Microbiol. Biotechnol. 39:174-180.
- Wagner, L.J., Weathers, P.J., DiIorio, A.A., Cheetham, R.D. 1994. Enhancement of lettuce productivity by ratooning. Scientia Horticulturae. 57:177-185.
- Weathers, P.J., Cheetham, R.D.,Follansbee, E., Teoh. T. 1994. Artemisinin production by transformed roots of Artemisia annua Biotechnol. Lett. 16:1281-1286.
- Cornell, J.S., Weathers, P.J., Pokras, M. 1995. Poisonous Plant Identification: A Comparison of Databases Designed for Veterinary Use. Veterinary and Human Toxicology 37:482-485.
- Teoh, K., Weathers, P., Walcerz, D., Cheetham, R., 1995. Cryopreservation of Transformed Roots of Artemisia annua L. Cryobiology. 33:106-117.
- Buer, CS, Correll, MJ, Smith, TC, Towler, MJ, Weathers, PJ, Nadler, M, Seaman, J, Walcerz, D. 1996. Development of a Nontoxic Acoustic Window Nutrient-Mist Bioreactor and Relevant Growth Data. In Vitro Plant 32:299-304.
- Weathers, P., Smith, T., Hemmavanh, D., Follansbee, E., Ryan, J., Cheetham, R. 1996. Production of the Antimalarial, Artemisinin, by Transformed Roots of Artemisia annua. Acta Hort. 426:157-163.
- Cheetham, R. Follansbee, E., Weathers, P. 1996. Transformation of Euphorbia lathyris by Agrobacterium rhizogenes. Acta Hort. 426:511-518.
- Smith, T.C., Weathers, P.J., Cheetham, R.D. 1997. Effects of Gibberellic Acid on Hairy Root Cultures of Artemisia annua: Growth and Artemisinin Production. In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology-Plant 33:75-79.
- Wyslouzil, B.E., Whipple, M., Chatterjee, C., Walcerz, D.B., Weathers, P.J., Hart, D.P. 1997. Mist Deposition onto Hairy Root Cultures: Aerosol Modeling and Experiments. Biotechnol. Prog. 13:185-194.
- Chatterjee, C., Correll, M., Weathers, P.J., Wyslouzil, B.E., Walcerz, D.B. A 1997. Simplified Acoustic Window Mist Bioreactor. Biotechnol. Techniques 11:155-158.
- Weathers, P.J., Hemmenvanh, D.D., Walcerz, D.B., Cheetham, R.D., Smith, T.C. 1997 Interactive Effects of Nitrogen, Phosphate, Sucrose, and Inoculum Age on Growth and Sesquiterpene Production in Artemisia annua hairy root cultures. In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology-Plant, 33:306-312.
- Buer, C.S., Gahagan, K.T., Swartzlander, G.A., Weathers, P.J. 1998. Insertion of Microscopic Objects Inside Plant Cell Walls Using Laser Microsurgery. Biotechnology & Bioengineering, 60:348-355.
- Wobbe, K., Zhang, X. and Weathers, P.J. 1998. Correlations between peroxidase activity, calcium, and artemisinin levels in hairy roots of Artemisia annua. In: Radical biology: advances and perspectives on the function of plant roots. (ed. H.E. Flores, J.P. Lynch, D. Eissenstat, Am. Soc. Plant Physiologists, Rockville, MD) pp. 432-434.
- Buer, C.S., Gahagan, K.T., Swartzlander, G.A. Weathers, P.J. 1998. Differences in optical trapping prompt investigations of Agrobacterium surface characteristics. J Ind. Microbiol., 21:233-236.
- Weathers, P.J., Wyslouzil, B.E., Wobbe, K.K., Kim, Y.J., Yigit, E. 1999. The biological response of hairy roots to O2 levels in bioreactors. In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology Plant 35:286-289.
- Souret, F., Weathers, P. 2000 Crocus sativus L. (saffron): Cultivation, in vitro culture, secondary metabolite production and phytopharmacognosy. J. Herbs, Spices, and Medicin. Plants, 6(4):99-116.
- Butterfield, L.J.W., Weathers, P.J., Flores, H.E. Improvement of Rooting in Seedlings of Taxus spp. by Phosphate Reduction and Nutrient Mist Culture. HortSci, accepted.
- Souret, F, Weathers, P.J. 2000 The growth of saffron (Crocus sativus L.) in aeroponics and hydroponics. J. Herbs, Spices, and Medicin. Plants 7(3)26-36.
- Buer, C.S., Weathers, P.J., Swartzlander, G. 2000 Changes in Hectian strands in cold hardened cells as measured by optical microsurgery. Plant Physiol. 122:1365-1377.
- Wyslouzil, B.E., Waterbury, R.G., Weathers, P.J. 2000 The growth of single roots of Artemisia annua in nutrient mist reactors. Biotechnology & Bioengineering, 72:143-150.
- Correll, M.J., Wu, Y., Weathers, P.J. 2001 Controlling Hyperhydration of Carnations (Dianthus caryophyllus L.) Grown in a Mist Reactor. Biotechnology & Bioengineering 71:307-314.
- Correll, M.J., Weathers, P.J. 2001 Effects of Light CO2, and Humidity on Carnation Growth, Hyperhydration, and Cuticular Wax Development in a Mist Reactor. In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology-Plant, 37:405-413.
- Correll, M.J., Weathers, P.J. 2001 One-step Acclimatization of Plantlets Using a Mist Reactor. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 73:253-258.
- Weathers, P.J., Kim, Y.J. 2001 Transformed roots of Artemisia annua exhibit an unusual pattern of border cell release. In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology-Plant, 37:440-445.
- Kim, Y., Wyslouzil, B.E., Weathers, P.J. 2001 A comparative study of mist and bubble column reactors in the in vitro production of artemisinin. Plant Cell Reports 20:451-455
- Souret, F., Weathers, P., Wobbe, K.K. 2002 The mevalonate independent pathway is expressed in transformed roots of Artemisia annua and regulated by light and culture age. In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology-Plant. 38:581-588.
- Kim, Y., Weathers, P.J., Wyslouzil, B.E. 2002 The growth of Artemisia annua hairy roots in liquid and gas phase reactors. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 80:454-464.
- Towler, M., Weathers, P. 2003 Adhesion of plant roots to poly-L-lysine coated polypropylene substrates. J. Biotechnology 101:147-155.
- De Jesus-Gonzalez, L, Weathers, PJ 2003 Tetraploid Artemisia annua hairy roots produce more artemisinin than diploids. Plant Cell Reports 21:809-813.
- Kim, YJ, Weathers, PJ, Wyslouzil, BE 2003 Growth dynamics of Artemisia annua hairy roots in three culture systems. Biotechnology and Bioengineering. 83:428-443.
- Souret, F., Kim, Y., Wyslouzil, B., Wobbe, K., Weathers, P. 2003 Scale-up of Artemisia annua L. hairy root cultures produces complex patterns of terpenoid gene expression. Biotechnology and Bioengineering. 83:653-667.
- Krushkal, J, Pistilli, M, Ferrell, KM, Souret, FF, Weathers, PJ 2003 Computational analysis of the evolution of the structure and function of 1-deoxy-D-xylulose-5-phosphate synthase, a key regulator of the mevalonate-independent pathway in plants. Gene. 313:127-138.
- Weathers, PJ, DeJesus-Gonzalez, L, Kim, YJ, Souret, FF, MJ Towler 2004 Alteration of biomass and artemisinin production in A. annua hairy roots by media sterilization method and sugars. Plant Cell Reports, 23:414-418.
- Weathers, PJ. Bunk, G, McCoy, MC 2005 The Effect of Phytohormones on Growth and Artemisinin Production in Artemisia annua Hairy Roots. In Vitro Cellular Developmental Biology Plant, 41:47-53.
- Sharaf-Eldin, M.A., Weathers, P.J. 2006 Movement and containment of microbial contamination in a nutrient mist bioreactor. In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology-Plant, 42:553-557.
- Towler, M.J., Wyslouzil, B.E., Weathers, P.J. 2007 Using an aerosol deposition model to increase hairy root growth in a mist reactor. Biotechnology & Bioengineering, 96:881-891.
- Wang, Y., Weathers, P.J. 2007 Sugars proportionately affect artemisinin production. Plant Cell Reports. 26:1073-1081.
- Towler, MJ, Weathers PJ 2007 Evidence of artemisinin production from IPP stemming from both the mevalonate and the nonmevalonate pathways. Plant Cell Reports 26:2129–2136.
- Sharaf-Eldin, MA, Elkholy S, Fernandez JA, Junge H, Cheetham RD, Guardiola JL, Weathers PJ 2007 The effect of Bacillus subtilis FZB24 on flower quantity and quality of saffron (Crocus sativus L.). Planta Medica 73: 1010-1011.
- Sharaf-Eldin, MA, Elkholy S, Fernandez JA, Junge H, Cheetham RD, Guardiola JL, Weathers PJ 2008 Bacillus subtilis FZB24® Affects Flower Quantity and Quality of Saffron (Crocus sativus L.) Planta Medica, 74:1316-1320.
- Weathers PJ, Liu CZ, Towler MJ, Wyslouzil, BE 2008 Mist reactors: principles, comparison of various systems, case studies. Electronic Journal of Integrated Biology 3:29-37. http://altweb.astate.edu/electronicjournal/Articles/WeathersFinalHR-07-010.05.09.08.pdf
- Liu CZ, Towler MJ, Medrano G, CramerCL, Weathers PJ 2009 Production of Mouse Interleukin-12 is Greater in Tobacco Hairy Roots Grown in a Mist Reactor than in an Airlift Reactor. Biotechnol Bioengin. 102:1074-1086.
- Mannan A., Liu CZ, Arsenault PR, Towler MJ, Vail DR, Lorence A, Weathers PJ 2010 DMSO triggers the generation of ROS leading to an increase in artemisinin and dihydroartemisinic acid in Artemisia annua shoot cultures. Plant Cell Reports, 29:143–152.
- Fung PK, Krushkal J, Weathers PJ 2010 Computational analysis of the evolution of 1-deoxy-D-xylulose-5-phosphate reductoisomerase an important enzyme in plant terpene biosynthesis. Chemistry & Biodiversity. 7:1098-1110.
- Arsenault PR, Vail D, Wobbe KK, Weathers PJ 2010 Effect of sugars on artemisinin production in Artemisia annua L.: transcription and metabolite measurements. INVITED Molecules 15:2302-2318.
- Sivakumar G, Liu CZ, Towler MJ, Weathers PJ 2010 Biomass production of hairy roots of Artemisia annua and Arachis hypogaea in a scaled-up mist bioreactor. Biotechnology & Bioengineering 107:802-813.
- Arsenault, PR, Vail D, Wobbe, KK, Erickson, K, Weathers, PJ 2010 Reproductive development modulates artemisinin related gene expression and metabolite levels with possible feedback inhibition in Artemisia annua. Plant Physiology 154:958-968.
- Yang Y, Xu J, Vail D, Weathers 2011 P Biomass and oil production by Ettlia oleoabundans grown on anaerobic digester effluent from 3 waste streams. Bioresource Technology. 102:5076–5082.
- Weathers PJ, Towler MJ 2012 The flavonoids casticin and artemetin are poorly extracted and are unstable in Artemisia annua tea infusion. Planta Medica 78: 1024–1026.
- Nguyen KT, Towler MJ, Weathers PJ 2012 The effect of roots and media composition on trichomes and artemisinin production in Artemisia annua L. Plant Cell Reports 32:207-18
- Elfawal, M.A., Towler, M.J., Reich N.G., Golenbock, D.T., Weathers, P.J., Rich, S.M. 2012 Dried whole plant Artemisia annua as an antimalarial therapy. PLoS ONE 7(12): e52746. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0052746
- Weathers PJ, Towler M, Wang Y, Wobbe KK 2013 Chapter 8: Artemisinin: controlling its production in Artemisia annua. In: Isoprenoid synthesis in plants and microorganisms: new concepts and experimental approaches. Eds. TJ Bach and M Rohmer, Springer publishing, NY, NY, pp. 107-117.
- Yang Y, Mininberg B, Tarbet A, Weathers PJ 2013 At high temperature lipid production in Ettlia oleoabundans occurs before nitrate depletion. Applied Microbiol Biotechnol. 97:2263-2273.
- Weathers, P.J. 1991. Fuels from industrial biomass processing wastes, In Biomass Handbook (ed. C. Hall and Kitani) Gordon & Breach. pp.175-191. INVITED.
- Weathers, P.J., Zobel, R.D. 1992. Aeroponics for the culture of organisms, tissues, and cells. Biotechnology Advances 10:93-115.
- 3. Weathers, P.J. Downstream Processing (product recovery), In: Plant Secondary Metabolites via Bioreactor Culture (ed. F. Mavituna, Kluwer Academic Publishers, The Netherlands), accepted for publication. INVITED.
- Weathers, P., Whipple, M., Wyslouzil, B. 1997. Laboratory-Scale Studies of Nutrient Mist Reactors for Culturing Hairy Roots, In: Hairy Roots (ed. P.M. Doran, Gordon and Breach/Harwood Academic, UK). Pp. 191-200. INVITED.
- Buer, CS, Gahagan, KT, Swartzlander, GA, Weathers, PJ Laser applications in biology. Biotechnology Advances, In press.
- Weathers, P.J., Wyslouzil, B. E. 2000 Alternate bioreactors: Mist. In: Encyclopedia of Cell Technology. (Ed. R.E. Spier, John Wiley & Sons, NY, NY) pp. 224-230. INVITED.
- Kim, Y.J., Wyslouzil, B., Weathers, J. 2002 Secondary metabolism of hairy roots in bioreactors. Invited review for In Vitro Cell and Developmental Biology, Plant, 38:1-10.
- Towler, M, Kim, YJ, Correll, M, Wyslouzil, B, Weathers, PJ. 2006. INVITED Design, development, and applications of mist bioreactors for micropropagation and hairy root culture. In: Plant Tissue Culture Engineering. Eds. Gupta, SD, Ibaraki, Y. Springer, The Netherlands. Pp. 119-134.
- Weathers, P.J., Elkholy, S, Wobbe, K.K. 2006 INVITED – Artemisinin: the biosynthetic pathway and its regulation in Artemisia annua, a terpenoid-rich species. In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology-Plant 42:309-317. Selected for special recognition.
- Arsenault PR, Wobbe KK, Weathers PJ 2008 INVITED. Recent advances in artemisinin production through heterologous expression. Current Medicinal Chemistry. 15:2886-2896.
- Weathers, P.J., Wobbe, K.K., Wyslouzil, B.E. 2011 INVITED – In vitro production of artemisinin: biosynthesis, regulation, and bioprocess development. In: Molecular Plant Cell-Based Bioprocessing (ed. Zhang, W, Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands. In press.
- Weathers, P.J., Wyslouzil, B. E. 2009 INVITED. Alternate bioreactors: Mist. In: Encyclopedia of Industrial Biotechnology: Bioprocess, Bioseparation, and Cell Technology, (Ed. M.C. Flickinger, John Wiley & Sons, NY, NY) pp. 972-978.
- Xu, L., Weathers, PJ, Xiong XR, Liu, CZ 2009 Microalgal Bioreactors: Challenges and Opportunities. Engineering in Life Sciences. 9:178-189.
- Sivakumar G, Vail DR, Xu J, Burner DM, Lay Jr. JO, Ge X, Weathers PJ 2010 Bioethanol and Biodiesel: Alternative Fuels for Future Generations. Engineering in Life Sciences 10:8-18
- Weathers PJ, Towler MJ, Xu 2010 J Bench to batch: Advances in plant cell culture for producing useful products. Applied Microbiology Biotechnology INVITED. 85:1339–1351
- Weathers PJ, Arsenault PR, Covello P, McMickle A, Reed D, Teoh KH, 2011 Artemisinin production in Artemisia annua - studies in planta and results of a novel delivery method for treating malaria and other neglected diseases. INVITED Phytochemistry Reviews, 10:173–183.
- Weathers PJ, Towler MJ, Wyslouzil BE 2011 Beyond cells: culturing complex plant tissues. In: E. M. T. El-Mansi (Ed) Fermentation Microbiology and Biotechnology, 3rd ed. INVITED in press.
- Nguyen KT, Arsenault PR,Weathers PJ 2011 Trichomes + Roots + ROS = Artemisinin: Regulating artemisinin biosynthesis in Artemisia annua L. In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology-Plant. INVITED. 47:329-338.
- Xu J, Dolan MC, Medrano G, Cramer CL, Weathers PJ 2012 Green Factory: Plants as bioproduction platforms for recombinant proteins. Biotechnol. Advan. 30:1171-1184. INVITED http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biotechadv.2011.08.020.
- Sivakumar G, Xu J, Thompson RW, Yang Y, Randol-Smith P, Weathers PJ 2012 Integrated green algal technology for bioremediation and biofuel. Bioresource Technology 107:1-9.
MANUSCRIPTS INVITED, SUBMITTED or IN PREPARATION:
- Agrell C, Bell S, Bosco F, Diamond D, Emnéus J, Guiseppi-Elie A, Katusabe A, Lynch J, Morse S, Moussy FG, Murtagh F, Nair PKR, Weathers PJ Transdiciplinary sustainability: the Council for Frontiers of Knowledge. Submitted for review to: Sustainable Development
- Gomez J, Weathers PJ Effect of Artemisia annua leaf debris on beans, corn, and soil microbes. In preparation for Journal of Medicinally Active Plants.
- Fei L, Weathers PJ From cells to plantlets in a mist bioreactor. In preparation for Biotechnology and Bioengineering.
- Jordan N, Lasin P, Towler MJ, Weathers PJ Plant matrix and diet play a key role in artemisinin and flavonoid release from Artemisia annua when considered for the whole plant therapeutic, pACT.
- Yang Y, Weathers PJ Red light go Far red slow down: red and far red light on oil production and growth in Ettlia oleoabundans. In preparation for submission to Applied Microbiology & Biotechnology
- Elfawal MA, Towler MJ, Reich NG, Golenbock DT, Weathers PJ, Rich SM. Efficacy of whole plant Artemisia annua against artemisinin resistant malaria. In preparation.
REGISTERED PLANT GENES IN GENBANK
- Weathers, P.J. and Giles, K. 1989. Mist cultivation of cells. U.S. Patent #4,857,464 and other International Patents (European, Israeli, Australian, Canadian, New Zealand).
- Weathers, P.J., Cheetham, R.D., and DiIorio, A. 1995. Process of extracting enhanced amounts of plant secondary metabolites with limited loss of plant viability. U.S. Patent #5,413,928.
- Weathers, PJ, Towler, MJ 2012. A scaleable mist reactor. U.S. Patent No. 8,114,664, granted Feb. 14, 2012.
- Weathers, PJ Plant and fungi micropropagation methods and products made thereby- U.S. Patent Application No.: PCT/US12/25630 - Filing Date: February 17, 2012
- Weathers, PJ Compositions and methods for treating parasitic disease. WO/2011/109745, US2011/027256 pending; Filing Date: March 4, 2011
- Souret, F.F., Wobbe, K.K., Weathers, P.J. 1999 Artemisia annua squalene synthase mRNA, partial cDNA sequence. BankIt289912 AF181557.
- Souret, F.F., Wobbe, K.K., Shore, K.A., Weathers, P.J. 1999 Artemisia annua D-1-deoxyxylulose-5-phosphate synthase (dxs1) mRNA, comlete cDNA sequence. BankIt290639 AF182286.
- Souret, F.F., Wobbe, K.K., Shore, K.A., Weathers, P.J. 1999 Artemisia annua 1-deoxy-D-xylulose-5-phosphate reductoisomerase (dxr1)mRNA, partial cDNA sequence. BankIt290641 AF18182287.
- Weathers, P.J., Cheetham, R.D., Blanchard, J., Niedzielski, J., and Crusberg, T.C. 1987. Biotraps for heavy metal removal and recovery from electroplating wastewaters. SIM News 37:9-11.
- Crusberg, T.C., Weathers, P.J., and Cheetham, R.D. 1989. Electroplating wastewaters: biotraps for removal and recycle of heavy metals. In Advances in Ion Chromatography (ed. P. Jandik & R.M. Cassidy, Century International, Franklin, MA) Vol. I pp. 247-260.
- Weathers, P. J., DiIorio, A., and Cheetham, R.D. 1989. A Bioreactor for Differentiated Tissues. Proc. BIOTECH USA Conf. (Conf. Managemt. Corp., Norwalk, CN) pp.247 - 256.
- Crusberg, T.C., Weathers, P.J., and Cheetham, R.D. 1989. Biotraps for heavy metal recovery from electroplating wastewater. In Proc. Intnl. Conf. on Physiochem. & Biol. Detox. of Hazard. Wastes. (ed Y.C. Wu, Technomic Publ. Co., Lancaster, PA) Vol.1 pp.285-306.
- Weathers, P.J., DiIorio, A., Cheetham, R., and O'Leary, M. 1990 Recovery of secondary metabolites with minimal loss of cell viability. In Progress in Plant Cellular and Molecular Biology (ed. H.J.J.Nijkamp, L.H.W. van der Plas, J. van Aartrijk, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands) pp.582-586.
- Crusberg, T.C., Weathers, P.J., Baker, E.F. 1991. Biotraps for heavy metal removal and recovery from industrial wastewaters. In Innovative Hazardous Waste Technology Series (ed. H.M. Freeman, Technomic Pub. Co., Lancaster, PA) Vol.3 pp.91-96.
- Weathers, P.J., Laine, L., Farley, G., Harris, G.1992. Conditions for cleaning and sterilizing a small tangential flow filtration system using a water soluble cold sterilant. Am. Biotechnol. Lab. 10:37-38.
- Crusberg, T.C., G. Gudmundsson, Moore, S.C., Weathers, P.J., Biederman, R.R. 1994. Structural analysis of a fungal biotrap for removal of heavy metals from wastewaters. In Hazardous Waste Management Handbook: Technology, Perception and Reality. (ed. N. Cheremisinoff and Y.C. Wu, Prentice Hall, NJ) pp 213-224.
- Weathers, P., Johnson, D. 1999. Diversity in Science & Engineering. ASPP News 26:21.
CURRENT and PENDING FUNDING
- Weathers, P.J. 1988. "Culturing cross disciplinary communication in biotechnology". Trends in Biotechnol. 6:289 for Fundamentals of Biotechnology, VCH Verlagsgesellschaft.
- Weathers, P.J. 1989. "An Overview of the Cell's CPU". BioScience, for Molecular Design of Life, W.H. Freeman and Co.
- Since 1978 I have been either PI or Co-PI on awards totaling >$6 million. (First name listed is the PI.)
- NIH 3R15GM069562-03 AREA (R15) Weathers (PI) $150,000 (direct costs) Artemisinin biosynthesis: Role of reactive oxygen. 2010-2013. To study role of ROS in artemisinin biosynthesis in A. annua.
- USDA-NIFA SARE FG12-026 (Sustainable Agriculture and Research Education) Small Farmer grant – Sipler (PI – the farmer), Weathers (Co-PI) - Artemisia annua as a high value crop and weed control. $7,168, 4/16/12-2/28/14. To obtain preliminary agricultural data for A. annua to see if the plant could be grown as a new specialty crop in New England while also providing more sustainable allelopathic weed control.
- NIH AREA (R15) Weathers (PI) $299,985 (direct costs) Artemisinin biosynthesis: flavonoid correlation with artemisinin. 2013-2016 To study where and when 6 flavonoids that act synergistically with artemisinin are produced in Artemisia annua and how their production correlates with artemisinin.
- NIH NCATS TND – Preproposal (Weathers, PI, Golenbock Co-PI, Rich Co-PI) – A Whole Plant Therapeutic for Treating Malaria & Reducing Resistance.
- Pakistani US Science & Technology Cooperation Program 2012 – Mirza (Pakistani PI, Weathers, US PI) Examination of the role of rol genes in stimulating overproduction of artemisinin in Artemisia annua. $274,869 (US portion) 7/1/13-6/30/16.
- WPI-UMASS Clinical and Translational Science award, Pilot Program Weathers (PI, WPI) Golenbock (Co-PI, UMMS), Gazzinelli (Co-PI, UMMS) Rich (Co-PI, UMA) $200,000 direct costs. 1/1/11-12/31/12. A novel antimalarial strategy based on whole plant delivery of Artemisia annua L.
- USDA 58-3148-8-172 Egypt USAID with M. Sharaf-Eldin (PI), Weathers (Co-PI) Saffron (Crocus sativus) production of secondary metabolites in cultured roots. 8/14/08-9/30/10 $60,000. Aim is to validate the presence of key saffron metabolites in saffron roots. 5% time, NO OVERLAP.
- NIH 2R15GM069562-02S1 (Supplemental) $69,000 (total costs) Weathers (PI) Artemisinin biosynthesis: Control of Transcription. 2009- 3/31/2010.
- NIH 2R15GM069562-02 Weathers (PI) $150,000 (direct costs) Artemisinin biosynthesis: Control of Transcription. 2007-2010.
- DOE DE-FG36-08GO88025 Weathers (PI on grant to ASU in Arkansas) Proposal to develop algal biofuels. $200,000 9/1/08-8/31/09 Aim is to study process integration of algae and agricultural waste for production of algal oils for biodiesel production. 10% time NO OVERLAP.
- Freeman Energy Corp. Weathers (PI) Algal bioreactor development. $60,000, 11/1/07-2/28/09.
- NIH AREA (R15) Weathers $150,000 (direct costs) Artemisinin biosynthesis: IPP source of carbon. 2004-2007.
- Fulbright Fellowship - Sharaf-Eldin (with Weathers), $24,000, 5/5/05 – 1/5/06
- World Lab – Elkholy, Weathers, World Lab Fellowship, $18,000, 5/04-5/05.
- World Lab – Sharaf-Eldin, Weathers, World Lab Fellowship, $18,000, 5/04-5/05.
- NASA – Advanced human support technology. Providing efficient rootzone aeration for plants cultured in low gravity. Weathers, Musgrave, Sullivan. $493,909 (awarded, then de-awarded a year later when Congress made large cutbacks in NASA’s budget). 2001-04.
- Pfizer – Summer Fellowships for Undergraduates, $20,000, 1997-2000.
- NSF - Fundamental Studies of the Nutrient Mist Bioreactor, Weathers, Wyslouzil, Walcerz. Engineering Directorate - Bioengineering/Biotechnology., $231,833, 1995-98.
- USDA - National Needs Graduate Fellowships, Weathers, Wyslouzil, Wobbe, Plant Biotechnology, $108,000, 1998-2003.
- NIH - R21 Weathers, Walcerz, Wyslouzil. Production of the Antimalarial, Artemisinin, in Roots, $151,498, 10% time, 1996-97.
- US Dept. Education - GAANN - Grad. Assistance in Areas of Need, Bagshaw, Weathers, Miller. Training Graduate Students in Biology and Biotechnology $664,720, 1995 -98.
- NSF - Academic Research Infrastructure, Rulfs, Weathers, Renovation of Research Facilities in the Biology and Biotechnology Department at WPI. $1,010,000. 1995-97.
- NSF - Advance Technology Center in Biotechnology, Werner, Weathers, Amara, Bladon Advanced Biotechnology Education Project, $1,132,394, 1995-97.
- NIH – AREA, Weathers, Cheetham, Production of the Antimalarial, Artemisinin, in Roots, $99,024, 10% time, 1993-96.
- USDA - National Needs Graduate Fellowships, Weathers, Plant Biotechnology, $108,000, 1993-98.
- Bay State Skills Corp. Miller, Weathers, DiBiasio, Clarke. Development of a Course in Scale-up of Methods in Fermentation and Downstream Processing. $69,818. 1990–92.
- NASA, Weathers and Cheetham, The Effect of Foliar Feeding on Fresh Lettuce Production for Human Consumption in Space. $120,000, 1989-91.
- Kresge Foundation, Rodino, Weathers, Miller, Endowment for the WPI Bioprocess Lab, $1,300,000, 1989.
- Research Development Council, WPI, Weathers and Cheetham, $4,050, 1988, 5% time.
- National Science Foundation, ILI, Weathers and Miller, $95,103, 3 yr., equipment grant for department bioprocess lab. 1988.
- Keck Foundation, Rodino, Weathers, Miller, Bioprocess Lab and Training, $250,000, 1988
- Manostat Corp., Weathers and Cheetham, Development of Applications and Manufacturing Prototype of a Novel Tissue Culture Device. $50,000, 1987.
- Massachusetts Industries (7 companies), Weathers, Develop course in protein purification and downstream processing. $129,000 (to match BSSC grant #5), Equipment ($65,000), time, site visits, equipment donations, 1985 - 87.
- Bay State Skills Corp., Weathers, Develop course in protein purification and downstream processing. $85,805, 1985-87.
- Digital Equipment Corp. Weathers and Cheetham, Biotraps for Retrieving Heavy Metals from Electroplating Wastes, $20,000, 1985-86, 10% time.
- Bay State Skills Corp., Weathers, Summer Institute in Biotechnology: Protein Purification and Separation and Bioreactor Analysis, $20,000, 1985 - 85.
- Whitehall Foundation, Giles and Weathers, Survey of the Eukaryotic Algae for Nitrogen Fixation, $113,000, 1981-84, 50% time.
- NIH - Biomedical Research Support Grant, Weathers, Equipment purchase: French Pressure Cell, $1,400, 1983.
- NASA, Danielli and Weathers, Nitrogen Fixation in a New Cyanobacterium, $100,000, 1979-80, 50% time.
EDUCATIONAL LABORATORY VIDEOS:
Most of these videos were on the market via Kitchen Culture Kits for use by schools. All proceeds went to the support of WPI students in my lab.
HONORS, AWARDS, AND RECOGNITIONS:
- Chromatography. 1994-6. Belk, J., Misner, D., Tobey, S., Smith, T., Trahan, L.), Weathers, P.
- Fermentation. 1995. Copponi, J, Lefebvre, M., Magill, M., Weathers,P.
- Gel Electrophoresis. 1996. Antonio, B., Herman, E., Smith, C., Weathers, P.
- Use of a Sterile Hood. 1996. Corliss, D., Avery, G., Weathers, P.
- Sterile Technique. 1996. Daniels, K., O’Rourke, C., Weathers, P..
- Enzymes: Biological Catalysts. 1996. Drainville, K., Diguette, M., Credit, A., Weathers, P.
- HPLC. 1997. Iskra, T., Carson, W., Weathers, P.
- Spectrophotometry. 1997. Berger, J., Gauvin, C., Robinson, B., Savoie, J., Weathers, P. Western Blot. 1997. Furey, S., Fidyk, N., Angle, L., Weathers, P.
- Gas Chromatography. 1997. Ayube, S., Coote, C., Ongewe, B., Scherpa, J., Weathers, P.
- Tangential Flow filtration. 1998. Diaz, L., Fisher, C., Rolle, C., Santiageo, A., Weathers, P.
- Plant Tissue Culture. 1998. Nabi, R., Miranda, B., Devarakonda, T. Weathers, P.
- Western Blot.1997. Fidyk, N., Furey, S., Angle, L. Weathers, P.
- Animal Tissue Culture. 1999. Seitz, M., Rouba, J., Zack, R., Weathers, P.
HONORS, AWARDS, AND RECOGNITIONS TO MY RESEARCH STUDENTS:
||Distinguished Service Award, Society for In Vitro Biology.
||WPI Sigma Xi, Outstanding Senior Faculty Researcher Award.
||WPI President’s Circle
||Fellow, Society for In Vitro Biology.
||Who's Who Among Executives and Professionals, Honors Edition.
||Democracy in Action Award, Middlesex & Worcester Democratic Coalition, Mar. 25, Hudson, MA
||Who’s Who in America
||Who’s Who in American Education
||Who’s Who of American Women
||Distinguished Service Award, Society for In Vitro Biology.
||Who’s Who: Great Women of the 21st Century
||WPI Trustees’ Award for Outstanding Research and Creative Scholarship.
||International Who’s Who of Professional & Business Women.
||Commendation for excellence in IQP Advising at WPI.
||YWCA Katherine F. Erskine Award for Outstanding Woman in Science and Medicine in Central Massachusetts
||The World Who's Who of Women
||Who's Who in Science & Engineering
||Special Distinction Award, MOET-HENNESSEY international competition for technologies in "Innovation of Plant Production", for nutrient mist technology.
||Phi Lambda Upsilon, Honorary Chemical Society
||Who's Who in the East
||Allied Chemical Fellow, Michigan State University
||Phi Sigma, Undergraduate Biology Honorary Society
MEMBERSHIPS AND OFFICES HELD IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES:
||Hoshaw Travel Award from PSA, Ying Yang
||WPI GSA Travel Award to Liwen Fei.
||WPI GSA Travel Award to Ying Yang.
||GRAD 2013, 1st place for MS in Business and Social Science (Sharon Wulf and Pam Weathers, Co- Advisors) Michael Blair, Carlos D. Arellano Echevarria, Christopher J. Nikopoulos,
||Alex DiIorio Bioprocess Fellowship from WPI, Ying Yang
||Lewin Poster Award from PSA, Ying Yang
||Hoshaw Travel Award from PSA, Ying Yang
||WPI GSA Travel Award to Liwen Fei.
||WPI GSA Travel Award to Ying Yang.
||John Song Award from SIVB, Liwen Fei
||2nd place in WPI Sustainability Poster Competition: Ben Mininberg, Andrea Tarbet, Ying Yang
||WPI GSA Travel Award to Liwen Fei.
||Hope E. Hopps Award and SIVB Travel Award, Liwen Fei
||Wilton R. Earle Award and SIVB Travel Award, Khanhvan Nguyen
||Danielli award for Ph.D. research to Patrick R. Arsenault
||Grant in Aid of Research to Ying Yang from Phycological Society of America.
||Travel Award from SIVB to Patrick Arsenault.
||Philip White Award from SIVB to Dan Vail
||Provost’s MQP Award to Martin Driggs.
||Danielli award for Ph.D. research to Melissa Towler.
||WPI Two Towers Award to Martin Driggs.
||MQP Provost’s award, third place, section 1, Brandon Matthews.
||Am. Soc. Gravitational & Space Biol. Travel Award to Joe Romagnano.
||Danielli award for Ph.D. research to Fred Souret.
||Anne S. Chatham Fellowship in Medicinal Botany (Garden Club of America) to Fred Souret
||Danielli award for Ph.D. Research to Melanie Correll.
||Teaching Assistant of the Year at WPI to Fred Souret.
||ASPP Travel Award to Fred Souret.
||Danielli award for MS Research to Tim Iskra.
||Pfizer Summer Fellowship for Undergraduates, Jason Field
||Pfizer Summer Fellowship for Undergraduates, Jessica Condon
||Danielli award for Ph.D. Research to Charles Buer.
||GAANN Fellowship to Melanie Correll.
||GAANN Fellowship to Melissa Towler.
||Proctor-Chanin Scholarship (Worcester County Horticultural Society) Fred Souret.
||Sigma Xi Graduate Research Award to Charles Buer.
||Pfizer Summer Fellowship for Undergraduates, Charu Vepari
||The Phillip White Award in plant tissue culture from the Society for In Vitro Biology to Charles Buer.
||Arvid Johnson Fellowship to Melanie Correll.
||Pfizer Summer Fellowship for Undergraduates, Tim Iskra.
||Danielli Award for MS Research to Tara Smith
||Danielli Award for MS Research to Thomas Teoh
||Sigma Xi Travel Award to Michelle Whipple (CM - co advisee with B. Wyslouzil)
to present paper at national meeting of the American Chemical Society.
||USDA National Needs Graduate Fellowship to Laura Wagner to do graduate study in plant physiology at The Pennsylvania State University
||Sigma Xi Honorary Research Award to Alex DiIorio.
||Danielli Award for Ph.D. Research to Alex DiIorio.
||The Phillip White Award in plant tissue culture from the Tissue Culture Association to Alex DiIorio.
||Switzer Fellowship in Environmental Science from the New Hampshire Charitable Fund to Ellen Baker.
- American Society of Plant Biologists (formerly Physiologists)
- Council for Frontiers of Knowledge (CFK) – Invited. CFK aims to advance global graduate and scientific research especially engaging Africa. Based in Uganda. Board of Directors, 2008 – ongoing; Chair 2010-2012; Executive Committee 2012 - ongoing.
- Northeast Section American Society of Plant Physiologists, Vice Chair 2000 2011; Chair 2001 and 2012.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Women in Science
- International Plant Biotechnology Network
- International Association for Plant Tissue Culture
- New York Academy of Science
- Sigma Xi, WPI chapter President 2011-12
- Society of Industrial Microbiology, Member National Education Committee 1990-92
- Society of Industrial Microbiology, New England Chapter, Vice President 1989-1991, President, 1991-92
- Society for In Vitro Biology (formerly Tissue Culture Association) Phillip White Award, 1993-99, Chair 1993; Student Awards Committee member 2000- , Student Affairs Chair 2003, 2004-; Public Policy Chair 2004-12 (re-elected thrice). Member of SIVB Board of Directors 2004-12 (re-elected thrice).
- Worcester County Horticultural Society, Scholarship Committee, 1990-1993, 1995.
(post 1982; I no longer list regular presentations, i.e., not specially invited.)
Session and Program Chairs:
- Weathers, P. 1985. Ethanol Production from Apple Pomace. Univ. Lowell Seminar speaker, Lowell, MA.
- Weathers, P.J. 1986. Training Bioprocess Engineers. New England Biotechnology Association (NEBA), Worcester, MA.
- Weathers, P. 1986. Academic and Industrial Working Relationships. Panel member. Univ. Mass., Boston, MA.
- Weathers, P.J., Cheetham, R.D. and Giles, K.L. 1988. Dramatic Increases in Shoot Number and Length for Musa, Cordyline, and Nephrolepis using Nutrient Mists. International Symposium on High Technology in Protected Cultivation, Hammamatsu, Japan.
- Weathers, P.J. 1988. Agricultural Biotechnology. Biotechnology: Present Development and Future Trends, Mayaguez, Puerto Rico.
- Weathers, P.J., Cheetham, R.D., and Giles, K.L. 1988. Use of a Nutrient Mist for the in vitro Culture of Plant Tissue. AGBiotech 88, Washington, D.C.
- Weathers, P.J., DiIorio, A., and Cheetham, R.D. 1989. A Bioreactor for Differentiated Tissues. BIOTECH USA Conference, October, San Francisco, CA.
- Weathers, P.J. 1989. New Strategies for Producing Secondary Products from Plants. New England SIM April meeting, Cochituate, MA.
- Weathers,P.J., DiIorio, A., Cheetham, R.D., and O'Leary, M. 1990. Recovery of Secondary Metabolites with Minimal Loss of Cell Viability. VII International Congress Plant Tissue and Cell Culture, June, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Weathers, P. J. 1991. Underground drugs: prospects for commercial recovery of valuable products from roots. NSF-REU Seminar series, Wellesley College, Wellesley, MA.
- Weathers, P.J. 1992. A novel bioreactor for plant cell/organ culture. The Pennsylvania State University, Biotechnology Institute, University Park, PA.
- Weathers, P.J., Cheetham, R.D., Kovacs, S., Hoyen, A., Canty, T., Auger, G. 1992. Artemisinin production by A. Annua: Environmental factors and transformation. World Congress on Cell and Tissue Culture, Washington, D.C.
- Weathers, P.J. 1993. Engineering Opportunities in Plant Biological Systems. International meeting of Am. Soc. Agric. Enginr., Chicago, IL.
- Walcerz, D., Weathers, P. 1993. New Concepts in Mist Bioreactor Design. International meeting of Am. Soc. Agric. Enginr., Chicago, IL.
- Weathers, P. 1993. After the Cloning? Bioprocessing! Biotechnology Education II, at WPI.
- Weathers, P.J. 1993 Aeroponics for plant cell culture. Rio Piedras Agricultural Experiment Station, Puerto Rico.
- Weathers, P. 1994. Nutrient Mists (Aeroponics) for the In Vitro Culture of Plants. NASA Specialized Center of Research and Training (NSCORT) in Bioregenerative Life Support in Space, Purdue University, W. Lafayette, IN.
- Weathers, P. 1994. Transformed Roots of Artemisia and Production of Antimalarial Compounds. Soc. Indust. Microbiology annual meeting, Boston, MA.
- Weathers, P. 1996. Aeroponics for Culture of Plant Tissues. Dupont Corp., Wilmington, Delaware.
- Weathers, P., Kim, Y.J., Wyslouzil, B. E. 1998. Gas exchange in bioreactors for culture of differentiated plant tissues. Congress on In Vitro Biology, Las Vegas, NV.
- Correll, M., Weathers, P. 1998.Studies of hyperhydration of Dianthus caryophyllus in an acoustic window mist reactor. Congress on In Vitro Biology, Las Vegas, NV.
- Correll, M., Weathers, P. 1999.Effects of culture age and the in vitro environment on the epicuticular wax content and stomatal density of hyperhydrated and ‘normal’ Dianthus caryophyllus. Congress on In Vitro Biology, New Orleans, LA.
- Buer, C. , Swartzlander, G., Weathers, P. 2000 Hectian strand investigations using optical microsurgery techniques. MicrOZcopy 2000 conference in Canberra, Australia.
- Weathers, P. 2000. Workshop for teachers: Bench to Bottle. BIO 2000, Boston, MA (March 26, 2000). (Annual meeting of the Biotechnology Industry).
- Weathers, P. 2001. Rooting for Drugs in Reactors. New England Section Society for Industrial Microbiology, Oct. 17, Univ. Connecticut Avery Point, Groton, CT.
- Weathers, P. 2002 Rooting for Drugs in Reactors. Feb. 18. Univ. Arizona, Tucson, AZ
- Weathers P.J. 2005 The In Vitro Environment and Alterations to Growth. SIVB annual meeting, Baltimore, MD. June 5-8.
- Weathers P.J. 2005 Rooting for Drugs in Reactors. U Mass Amherst, Apr. 21.
- Weathers, P.J. 2006 Adventures with Artemisia annua and Artemisinin. Arkansas Bioscience Institute. April.
- Weathers, P.J. 2007 Artemisinin: controlling its production in Artemisia annua. TERPNET 2007 meeting Strasbourg, France, April 30-May 5, Invited Speaker.
- Weathers, P.J. 2007 Development of low cost bioreactors for production of plant products. 2nd Gordon Conference on Plant Metabolic Engineering. Tilton, NH, July 15-20. Invited speaker
- Weathers, PJ, 2007 Propagation of elite plant genotypes. Judd Hill Day, August 30, 2007, Trumann, AR.
- Weathers, PJ 2007 Production of bioproducts from root and shoot cultures in bioreactors. November 29, University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras. Invited speaker.
- Weathers, PJ 2008 Artemisinin: controlling its production in Artemisia annua. May 24, 2008, Gateway Park, Worcester, MA. Invited speaker.
- Weathers, PJ 2008 Sweet Annie” cures the world: studying a potent, but ancient medicinal plant. MA Teachers, Higgins House, WPI, Worcester, MA. Dec. 11, 2008. Invited speaker.
- Weathers, PJ 2009 Pharma and Fuel: Fun with Plants in the Weathers Lab. Invited talk, Infinity Pharmaceuticals, March 5, 2009, Cambridge, MA.
- Weathers, PJ 2009 Rethinking plant and field production towards a novel delivery method for artemisinin combination therapy (ACT) for malaria. Council for Frontiers of Knowledge. Inaugural Board Meeting, Kampala, Uganda. Sept. 12-19., Invited inaugural speaker.
- Weathers, PJ 2009 Dynamics of artemisinin production and regulation in Artemisia annua. Phytochemical Society of Europe, La Palma, Canary Islands, Sept. 20-26, Invited plenary speaker.
- Weathers, PJ 2009 Artemisinin production in Artemisia annua and novel delivery approach for treating disease in developing countries. Dec. 8, U Mass, Amherst, Invited seminar speaker.
- Arsenault PR, VailDR, Wobbe KK, Weathers, PJ Exogenous sugars affect artemisinin production in Artemisia annua L.: transcription and metabolite measurements. SIVB and 12th IAPB Congress, St. Louis, MO, June 6-11, 2010.
- Weathers, PJ, PR Arsenault, DR Vail, K Teoh, A McMickle, KK Wobbe Artemisinin: in planta production and therapeutic options. American Council for Medicinally Active Plants, July 20-23, 2010, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ, Invited
- Weathers, P. 2010 Delivering the plant-produced antimalarial, artemisinin, via a novel combination therapy (ACT) to lower drug costs and empower developing countries. PINE meeting, Dec. 1, Whitehead Institute, Cambridge, MA.
- Weathers PJ 2011 Alternative therapies for treating malaria: from plant to patient. Minisymposium: on Translational Research on Malaria. 2nd Annual Clinical and Translational Sciences Research Retreat May 20, 2011, Shrewsbury MA
- Weathers PJ 2011 From plant to patient: edible delivery of a broad spectrum drug. Massachusetts Life Sciences Innovation Day 2011, Harvard Club, Cambridge, MA June 2, 2011.
- Weathers PJ 2011 A new bioreactor for adherent cells and tissues. Massachusetts Life Sciences Innovation Day 2011, Harvard Club, Cambridge, MA June 2, 2011.
- Weathers PJ, Golenbock D, Gazzinelli R, Rich S 2012 A novel antimalarial strategy based on whole plant delivery of Artemisia annua L. UMMS luncheon. WPI Feb. 13, 2012 Worcester, MA.
- Weathers PJ 2012 Artemisia annua: a simple herbal medicine? Sigma Xi lecture, Mar. 29, WPI, Worcester MA.
- Weathers PJ, Towler MJ, Golenbock D, Gazzinelli R, Elfawal M, Rich S 2012 A novel antimalarial strategy based on whole plant delivery of Artemisia annua L. Invited. 3rd Annual Conference, American Council for Medicinally Active Plants, May 22 – 25, 2012, Arkansas State University, Jonesboro, AR.
- Weathers P, Fei L 2012 Towards automation of micropropagation using a mist bioreactor. Invited. 3rd Annual Conference, American Council for Medicinally Active Plants, May 22 – 25, 2012, Arkansas State University, Jonesboro, ATR.
- Weathers PJ 2012 From plant to patient: edible delivery of a broad spectrum drug. Massachusetts Life Sciences Innovation Day 2012, Harvard Club, Cambridge, MA May 30, 2012.
- Fei L, Weathers P 2012 Towards automation of micropropagation using a mist bioreactor. SIVB Annual meeting, Bellevue, WA, June 6-10, 2012
- Weathers PJ 2012 A novel anti-malarial strategy based on whole plant delivery of Artemisia annua. Wellesley College, Wellesley, MA July 25, 2012.
- Weathers PJ 2012 New approach for delivering an herbal ACT and its socioeconomic implications. CFK Conference, Western Science Meets African Reality. Nov. 12-15, Monyonyo, Kampala, Uganda
- Weathers PJ 2012 Workshop: Making it work! Planning for implementation of an herbal ACT in Africa. CFK Conference, Western Science Meets African Reality. Nov. 12-15, Monyonyo, Kampala, Uganda
- Weathers PJ 2013 A Novel Whole Plant Therapeutic for Treating Malaria and Other Diseases. U MA Boston, Feb. 1.
- Weathers PJ 2013 Whole plant delivery of Artemisia annua L. for treating malaria and other diseases. Healthcare Delivery Institute Symposium, WPI, Worcester MA Mar. 20, 2013.
- Co-Chair Plenary Session. Plants in Service to Medicine. SIVB Annual meeting, Providence, RI, June 15-19, 2013.
- Local Organizing Committee, Chair. SIVB Annual meeting, Providence, RI, June 15-19, 2013.
- Co-chair (with L. Vidali) of the 76th annual meeting of the Northeast Section of the American Society of Plant Biologists, at WPI, May 4-5.
- Workshop Co-chair: Research Integrity. SIVB Annual meeting, Bellevue, WA, June 6-10, 2012.
- Workshop Chair: Promoting Progress through Public and Media Interactions. SIVB Annual meeting, Charleston, SC, June 6-10, 2009
- Symposium Chair, Biofuels and other plant-produced products. WPI Life Science and Bioengineering Institute, Worcester, MA Oct. 27, 2008,
- Co-Chair: Large-scale production of plant and animal products. Plenary session, World Congress on In Vitro Biology, Tucson, AZ June 13-18, 2008.
- Co-Chair: Metabolic engineering/Secondary metabolism. SIVB Annual meeting, Baltimore, MD, June 5-7, 2005.
- Co-Chair: Plant growth phase changes and the in vitro environment. SIVB Annual meeting, Baltimore, MD, June 5-7, 2005
- Co-Organizer: Medicinal Plants/Nutraceuticals/Biopharming. SIVB Annual meeting, Baltimore, MD, June 5-7, 2005
- Chair: Northeast Regional meeting of the American Society of Plant Physiologists, May 4-5, 2001, at WPI .
- Chair: Panel on Graduate Education in the Global Economy, May 29, 1997, New England Society Industrial Microbiology, U Mass Amherst.
- Program Co-chair: Biotechnology Education II, October, 1993, at WPI.
- Program Co-Chair: Biotechnology Education, March, 1993, Joint program sponsored by NESIM and NEASM, at WPI.
- Session Chair: World Congress on Cell and Tissue Culture, Plant Secondary products, June 1992.
- Chair: SIM/ASM regional meeting, Tour of WPI Bioprocess Lab, WPI, May 1991.
- Session Chair: Agricultural Biotechnology: Enhancement of the Environment. ASM Conference on Biotechnology Annual Meeting, 1989 Orlando, FL.
- Session Chair: Tissue Culture. International Symposium on High Technology in Protected Cultivation, Hammamatsu, Japan.
- Program Chair: New England Biotechnology Association (NEBA IV.), Worcester, MA 1987.
- Organizer: Workshop on Starting a Small Business in Biotechnology. New England Biotechnology Association (NEBA IV.), Worcester, MA. 1987.
- Program Chair: Zymark Short Course: Lab Robotics in Process Development, Worcester, 1986.
- Organizer: Workshop on GMPs. New England Biotechnology Association (NEBA III.), Worcester, MA. 1986.
- Session Chair: Bioprocessing. New England Biotechnology Association (NEBA III.), Worcester, MA. 1986.
- Convener: Molecular Biology and Physiology of Cyanobacteria. ASM Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, 1978.
More than 250 other presentations, mainly done by my students, have been done at local, national and international meetings. About 10 presentations per year have had my name as co-presenter. I only now keep track of the invited presentations or duties as a program or panel Chair.
EDITORIAL AND REFEREE SERVICES:
- Marsden Fund, Royal Society of New Zealand, Wellington, New Zealand, 2011-
- Scientific Consulting Committee Member, Center for Research Excellence in Saffron Research Technology (CREST), Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. 2010-
- Proposal reviewer, International Foundation for Science (IFS), Stockholm, Sweden. 2009 - ongoing.
- Council for Frontiers of Knowledge (CFK) –Invited Board member. CFK aims to advance global graduate and scientific research especially engaging Africa. Operates out of Uganda. 2008 – ongoing. Chair 2010-2012.
- Georgian National Science Foundation – Invited to serve as a regular peer reviewer; declined due to excessive current work load. August 2008. Georgian NSF is located in Tbilisi, Georgia.
- NSF Committee of Visitors for Evaluation of the Instrument Cluster of the Division of Biological Infrastructure. Mar. 2002. Declined invitation due to conflict with other commitments.
- NIH NCCAM panel member, March 3-5, 2010.
- NSF BREAD panel member, November 4-7, 2009
- NIH Biological Natural Products panel member, October 6-7, 2009
- NSF Environmental Systems Engineering, December 2007
- NSF FIBR Panel, 2002-03.
- NIH SBIR Panel: Biological Natural Products, 2002.
- NSF IGERT Preproposal Panel: Biological Sciences, 2000.
- NSF SBIR Panel: Biotechnology, 1997, 1999.
- USDA Review Panel: SBIR, Biotechnology, 1997.
- USDA Review Panel: National Needs Fellowships in Plant Biotechnology, 1995, 1997.
- NIH Review Panel: Biological Natural Products, Special reviewer, 1994, 2009.
- DOE Review Panel: Morgantown Energy Center Proposals: 1992.
- NSF Review Panel: Instrumentation Laboratory Improvement: 1989, 1990, 1993;
- NSF Review Panel: University College Curriculum Program: 1991.
Manuscript Reviewer & Editorships:
- USDA NIFA SBIR Program Biofuels and Biobased Products, 2013
- USDA NIFA SBIR Program Biofuels and Biobased Products, 2011
- CPBR, consortium for Plant Biotechnology Research, 2010-
- KY Tobacco Research 2007-
- NH Agricultural Station 2006-
- CRDF (US State Department) 2004-
- NASA, CELSS division, 1988. 2000-4
- Natl. Sci. Enginr. Res. Council Canada (NSERC), 2003-
- NIH, ad hoc for many different programs, 1995-.
- NSF, Bioengineering and Environmental Systems, 1990; 1994-
- NSF-SBIR, 1992, 1997, 1999.
- NSF – Metabolic Biochemistry- 2004
- NSF – STC - 2004
- USDA – For multiple programs -1994 -
- BARD, Agricultural Engineering, 1992-93.
- Proctor-Channin and Sherman Scholarships Selection Committee, Worcester County Horticultural Society, 1989-93, 1995.
Other Professional Activities:
- Am. Inst. Agric. Engr.,1992-93
- Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 1988-
- Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 1994-
- Biotechnology Progress, 1994-
- Enzyme & Microbial Technology 2004-
- In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology, Plant, 1992- ; Reviewing Editor 1997-02; Associate Editor 2002-
- J of Agricultural Science & Technology 2011-
- J of Applied Biochemistry & Biotechnology 2003-
- J of Bioprocessing & Biotechniques - 2010 – invited to join editorial board, but declined.
- J of Biotechnology 2002-
- J. Herbs, Spices, and Medicinal Plants, 1997-
- Journal of Gravitational Physiology 2001-4
- J Natural Products 2009-
- Journal of Plant Interactions 2010 -
- J of Social and Economical Issues of Biotechnology - 2010 – invited to join editorial board, but declined.
- J Agricultural Science and Technology 2012 -
- Physiologia Plantarum 2010-
- Phytochemistry 2009-
- Plant Cell Reports, 1997-
- Plant Cell Tissue Organ Culture – Associate Editor 2009-2012.
- Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 2002-
WPI COMMITTEE AND ADMINISTRATIVE ASSIGNMENTS, DEPARTMENTAL AND COLLEGE-WIDE:
||Mentor, 2 Mass Academy science students.
||Mentor, 1 Mass Academy science student.
||Judge, Mass Academy Science fair.
||External reader/reviewer, PhD thesis of N. Mishra, “Production and utilization of hairy root culture of Catharanthus roseus (L.) G. Don”, Indian Institute Technology, Kharagpur, India.
||Tenure & promotion evaluation: College of Agriculture, Arkansas State University
||Tenure & promotion evaluation of several colleagues at several US academic and government institutions including USDA, Penn State, U Mass, Amherst.
SIGNIFICANT CIVIC, CULTURAL, RELIGIOUS CONTRIBUTIONS:
||WPI Healthcare Delivery Institute, Faculty member.
||BB Department Tenure Committee.
||President's Sustainability Task Force
||WPI Energy Initiative, member.
||Sigma Xi President, WPI chapter.
||Faculty Staff Campaign Committee, faculty committee member
||OSP committee to establish Research Integrity guidelines
||Gateway Faculty Space Committee
||Faculty Review Committee
||Gordon Dean of Engineering Search Committee.
||BB Department Faculty Search Committee, Chair
||BB Department Tenure Committee.
||BB Department Promotion Committee
||BB Department Tenure Committee.
||Committee on Appointments and Promotions (COAP) member. Resigned 12/31/06; on leave to AR.
||Member President's Ranking Commission
||Faculty Advanced Research (FAR); previously Research Development Council. Resigned 12/31/06; on leave to AR
||Institutional Review Committee for Human Subjects in Research. Resigned 10/31/06; on sabbatical leave to AR.
||Faculty Review Committee
||BB Dept. Graduate Studies Committee
||Committee on Appointments and Promotions (COAP), Chair 2000-01.
||Fringe Benefits Committee
||Dept. Head Search Committee, Civil Engineering.
||Dept. Infrastructure Committee
||Dept. Industrial Liaison Committee
||Editor, Biology/Biotechnology Department Newsletter
||Dept. Head Search Committee, Biology and Biotechnology
||Entrepreneurship Program Committee
||Screening Committee for Dean of Graduate Studies & Research
||STRIVE Faculty Participant.
||Globalization Advisory Committee
||Project Advisory Committee
||WPI Women's Academic Advisory Committee
||Director Multicultural Affairs, Search Committee
||Dept. Tenure Committee
||Multi Discipline Research Center, Selection Committee
||Committee Graduate Studies and Research (CGSR). Secretary, 1989-91
||Goddard Fellowship Selection Committee.
||Organizer of department seminar series.
||Katharine F. Erskine Awards Host Committee member for YWCA of Central MA
|2010 & 12
||Stow Town Co-Coordinator, MA Democratic Candidates Campaign
||Stow Democratic Town Committee, Co-Chair.
||Habitat for Humanity, Jonesboro, AR, housing construction volunteer.
||Board of Overseers Member, WBUR Radio Station, Boston MA.
||Finance Committee member, Deval Patrick Campaign for Governor
||Stow Town Coordinator, Deval Patrick Campaign for Governor of Massachusetts
||Registrar of Voters Town of Stow, MA.
||Stow Democratic Town Committee, Secretary; re-elected in 06.
||Stow Town Center Committee, advised reconstruction of Town Veterans Memorial.
||Lector, St. Joseph the Good Provider Parish Church, Berlin, MA
||Stow Conservation Trust, Board of Directors; Vice President 1999-2000; Nominating Committee 1999-02
||Conservation Commission, Stow, MA, Associate member.
||Open Space Plan, Town of Stow, Co-author of multiple editions.
||Conservation Commissioner, Stow, MA.
||Conservation Commissioner, Stow, MA.
||Chair, Conservation Commission, Stow, MA.
||Professional potter (part-time).
||Participant in lay study group that prepared a critical evaluation of the third draft of the US Bishop's Pastoral Letter on the Economy for use by Bishop Harrington. Material was used by the National Bishop's study group in preparation of the Final Draft that was published in November 1986.
||Participant in Host Homes for Homeless under the auspices of Wheat in Clinton Ma. My home was available for homeless women and children from my local area. I gave shelter to a family of 5 for 2 months and a single woman for few days until they could be housed.
||Participant in panels on Host Homes for Homeless for area churches.