Rashid Bashir, Ph.D. 2000 Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory, MC-249, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL. http://libna.mntl.illinois.edu/
|BSEE Dec. 1987 Texas Tech. University, Lubbock, TX.Summa Cum Laude|
|MSEE Aug. 1989 Purdue University, W. Lafayette, Indiana|
|PhD Dec. 1992 Purdue University, W. Lafayette, Indiana|
- Oct 1992 – Oct. 1998 Process Engineer/Sr. Process Engineering/Engineering Manager, Process Technology Development, National Semiconductor, Santa Clara, CA.
- Oct. 1998 – July 2001 Assistant Professor (08/98-08/01), Associate Professor (08/01-08/05), Professor (08/05-08/07), School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Purdue University, W. Lafayette, IN.Also courtesy appointments in Bioengineering and Mechanical Engineering.
- Sept 2004 – Oct 2007 Scientific Director, BioNanotechnology, Birck Nanotechnology, Bindley Biosciences Center, Discovery Park, Purdue University.
- April 2006 – Present Visiting Professor of Surgery, Shriner’s Children Hospital/Mass General Hospital, Boston, MA.
- Oct 2007- Present Abel Bliss Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering & Bioengineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Oct 2007 – Present Director, Micro and Nano Technology Laboratory, a campus-wide clean room and nanotechnology facility at University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. (www.mntl.illinois.edu).
- Oct 2007 – Present Co-Director (along with Dean College of Engineering Ilesanmi Adesida) of the Center of Nanoscale Science and Technology (CNST) at University of Illinois (www.cnst.illinois.edu).CNST is a campus wide ‘collaboratory’ for nanoscale collaborations and developing large center grants.
- May 2006 – Present Visiting Scientist, Massachusetts General Hospital, Cambridge, MA. & Research Fellow, Shriner’s Hospital for Children, Cambridge, MA. (Host Prof. Mehmet Toner).
- May 2006 – May2008 Visiting Professor of Surgery, Harvard Medical School, Cambridge, MA.
Expertise and Interests
BioMEMS and Bionanotechnology, BioSensors, Lab on a Chip, Microfluidics.
- NSF Faculty Early Career Award in Nanobiotechnology and Nanosensors, 2000-2004.
- Joel and Spira “Outstanding Teacher Award” from School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Purdue University, 2000.
- Nominated by Purdue and Selected by National Academy of Engineering to attend the Frontiers in Engineering Workshop in Fall 2003, sponsored by NAE.
- Member of the United States delegation for the 2nd Japan-US (NSF/MEXT) Joint Symposium on Nanotechnology in Advanced Therapy and Diagnostics, Yokohama, Japan, Oct. 9-12th, 2003.
- “Global Indus Technovator” Award 2003, in Nanotechnology Materials and Devices, by the MIT Sloan Business School and the Indian Business Club. http://technovators.mit.edu/ Selected to be one of the top 20 technical Innovators in the world in 2003, under the age of 40, from the Asian Background.
- Purdue University Faculty Scholar, 2005 – 2010
- Fellow of IEEE, 2009; FellowAIMBE, 2010; Fellow AAAS, 2012.
- IEEE Distinguished Lecturer, 2009 – 2011
- IEEE EMBS Technical Achievement Award, 2012.
- N. N. Watkins, S. Sridhar, X. Cheng, G. Chen, M. Toner, W. Rodriguez, and R. Bashir, “A microfabricated electrical differential counter for the selective enumeration of CD4+ T lymphocytes”, Lab Chip, 2011, 11, 1437-1447. (Cover Article).Also selected as Hot Article on RSC Website.P. Zorlutuna, J. H. Jeong, H. Kong, and R. Bashir, “3-Dimensional Polymer Microenvironments for Examining Spatial Cellular Interactions”, Advanced Functional Materials, DOI: 10.1002/adfm.201101023, 2011. (Cover Article)
- N. Watkins, B. M. Venkatesan, M. Toner, W. Rodriguez, R. Bashir, “A Robust Electrical MicroCytometer with 3-Dimensional Hydrofocusing or Portable Blood Analysis”, Lab Chip, 2009, 9, 3177 - 3184. (Cover Article)
- A. D. Radadia, C. J. Stavis, R. Carr, H. Zeng, W. King, J. A. Carlisle, A. Aksimentiev, R. J. Hamers, R. Bashir, “Ultrananocrystalline diamond thin films as stable antibody tethering surfaces for bacterial capture”, Adv. Funct. Mater. 2011, 21, 1040–1050. (Cover Article)
- K. Park, L. J. Millet, J. Huan, N. Kim, G. Popescu, N. Aluru, K. J. Hsia, R. Bashir, "Measurement of adherent cell mass and growth", ProcNatlAcadSci U S A. 2010. doi/10.1073/pnas.1011365107
- B. M. Venkatesan, A.B. Shah, J.M. Zuo, and R. Bashir, “DNA Sensing using Nano-crystalline Surface Enhanced Al2O3 Nanopore Sensors”, Advanced Functional Materials, Volume 20, Issue 8, 1266-1275, 2010. (Cover Article)
- B. M. Venkatesan, R. Bashir, “Nanopore Sensors for Nucleic Acid Analysis”, Nature Nanotechnology, 2011. 10.1038/NNANO.2011.129
- Samir Iqbal, Demir Akin, Rashid Bashir, “Solid State Nanopores with DNA Selectivity”, Nature Nanotechnology, 2, 243 – 248, 01 Apr 2007.
- Demir Akin, Jennifer Sturgis, Kristin Burkholder, D. Sherman, S. Muhammad, Arun Bhunia, J. Paul Robinson, Rashid Bashir, "Bacterial Mediated Delivery of Nanoparticles in Cells", Nature Nanotechnology, 149, 441-449, 2007.
- A. Gupta, P. Nair, D. Akin, S. Broyles, M. Ladisch, A. Alam, R. Bashir, "Anamolous Resonance in a Nanomechanical Biosensor", Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences, USA. August 28, 2006, 103: 13362-13367.
- 2012 - Present: Member, Board of Directors, The Council for Frontiers of Knowledge (The CFK), Kampala, Africa
- 2003 – Present, Editorial Board and Associate Editor: Biomedical Microdevices, Springer Press.;
- 2004 – Present, Editorial Board: Nanobiotechnology, Humana Press; 2008 – Present, Associate Editor: IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. Co-Founder BioVitesse, Inc. founded in 2002 to commercialize biochips for rapid detection of pathogens (with initial funding from NSF SBIR Phase 1 and 2). Chair of Scientific Advisory Board and Licensed technology to Daktari Diagnostics, Inc.
- Recent Collaborators:Michael Ladisch (Ag and BioEngineering, Purdue), Donald Bergstrom (Medicinal Chemistry, Purdue), Ashraf Alam (ECE, Purdue), Arun Bhunia (Food Science, Purdue), George Vasmatzis, Frank Prendergast (Mayo Clinic), James Lee (OSU), Mehmet Toner (Harvard/MGH), William Rodriguez (Harvard/MGH), Taher Saif (UIUC), William King (UIUC), Larry Schook (UIUC), K. Jimmy Hsia (UIUC), Joon Kong (UIUC), Xuanhong Cheng (Lehigh), Laila Razouk (BioVitesse), Madoo Varma (Intel), Luke Lee (UC Berkeley), John Carlisle (ADT)
- Current Students/Staff:Post-doc: L. Millet, V. Solovyeva, J. Shim, N. Watkins, J. B. Reddy, Graduate Students: V. Chan, P. Bajaj, B. Dorvel, G. Damhorst, E. Salm, M. Collens, M. Alonso, E. Corbin, U. Hassan, C. Duarte, J. Nee, K. Keller, C. Cvetkovic.
- Students Graduated:Research Scientists and Post-Docs:H. McNally, W. Chang, S. Lee, D. Akin, J. Jang, L. Yang, S. Bhattacharya, K. Lim, J. Moon, Y. Liu, K. Park, M. Venkatesan. PhD: R. Gomez (Fall 2003); H. Li (Summer 2004), S.W. Lee (Fall, 2004), A.K. Gupta (Fall2005), H. Chang (Fall 2005), S. Iqbal (Spring 2007), Y. Liu (Spring 2008), O. Elibol (Fall2008), K. Park (Summer 2009), M. Venkatesan (Spring 2011), N. Watkins, (Spring 2012), J. B. Reddy (Spring 2012). MS: N. Nerurkar (Summer 2000), A. Gupta (December 2000), N. Shinde (Aug 2001), Z. Hilt (Spring 2002), D. Guo (Fall 2002), H. Raza (Fall 2002), O. Elibol (Dec 2003), A. Davila(Dec 2005), K. Lee (Spring 2006), H.J. Suk (Dec 2009), S. Yemeni (Aug 2010), M. Collens (Spring 2012).