Area of Expertise
Comparative social policy, poverty, social exclusion, family dynamics, labour market policy employment instability and progression, social security and social assistance, policy evaluation and policy transfer.
|2006-present||Professor of Social Policy and Fellow of Green Templeton College, University of Oxford|
|2000-2006||Professor of Social Policy Department of Sociology and Social Policy, University of Nottingham|
|2001-2006||Research Fellow, Institute for Fiscal Studies|
|1990-2000||Director and Professor of Social Policy Research, Centre for Research in Social Policy, Loughborough University|
|1987-1990||Senior Research Fellow Social Policy Research Unit, University of York|
|1986-1990||Assistant Director, Institute for Research in the Social Sciences, University of York|
|1984-1987||Research Fellow Social Policy Research Unit,University of York|
|1983||Research Fellow, Personal Social Services Research Unit, University of Kent|
|1978-1983||Senior Lecturer in Social Policy, Civil Service College, London|
|1975-1978||Research Officer through Principal Research Officer, UK Department of Environment|
- Tomlinson, M. and Walker, R. 2009, Coping with Complexity: Child and adult poverty, London: CPAG, ISBN 978 1 906076 36 8.
- Walker, R., 2005, Social Security and Welfare: Concepts and comparisons, Milton Keynes: Open University Press/McGraw-Hill, pp. 354, ISBN 0 335 20934 3 and 0 335 20935 1.
- Cebulla, A., Ashworth, K. Greenberg, D. and Walker, R., 2005, Welfare to Work: New Labour and the US experience, Aldershot: Ashgate, pp.169, ISBN 0 7546 3775 1.
- Walker, R. and Wiseman, M., (eds.), 2003, The Welfare We Want: The British challenge for American reform, Bristol: Policy Press, pp. 201, ISBN 1 86134 407 4.
- Walker, R. with Howard, M., 2000, The Making of a Welfare Class? Benefit receipt in Britain, Bristol: Policy Press, pp. 350, ISBN 1 86134 235 7,
- Walker, R. Hoggart, L. and Hamilton, G., 2008, ‘Random Assignment and Informed Consent: A Case Study of Multiple Perspectives’, American Journal of Evaluation, 29(2): 156-174.
- Walker, R. and Pelissery, S., 2008, ‘Giants Old and New: Promoting social security and economic growth in the Asia and Pacific Region’ International Social Security Review, 61(2): 81-103. ()
- Pellissery, S. and Walker. R., 2007, ‘Social Security Options for Informal Sector Workers: Emergent economies and the Asia and Pacific region’, Social Policy and Administration, 41, 4, 401–409.
- Walker, R., 2007, ‘Entropy and the Evaluation of Labour Market Interventions’, Evaluation, 13(2): 193-219.
- Walker, R.,2008, ‘Mixed methods research: Quality plus quality’, Pp. 276-282 in J. Neale (ed.) Research Methods for Health and Social Care, Houndmills: Palgrave. ISBN- 13:9780230500785,
Professional and Public Service/Activities
- Chair, Scientific Advisory Committee and Member, Governing Board ESRC UK Household Longitudinal Study (from 2007).
- Expert Advisor, European Commission, European Social Fund, Evaluation Partnership
- Member, Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), Research Grants Board (2006-8)
- Member, UK Statutory Social Security Advisory Committee (from 2002)
- Member, Policy Council, Association of Public Policy Analysis and Management (United States), (2002-6)
- Member, Board of Directors, Council for Frontiers of Knowledge, Uganda, Africa (2007-present)
- Member, Child Poverty Action Group
- Trustee, Pensions Policy Institute
Awards and Honors
Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (FRSA), 2000
MA (Oxon), University of Oxford, 2006
Academician of the Academy of Social Sciences (AcSS), 2009
Associate Member, Nuffield College, University of Oxford, 2009.
Graduate Research Advising
Lifetime spent supervising research staff and students
Professional Society Membership
- Member, Social Policy Association
- Member, Association of Public Policy and Management